Multi Speed Friction Drive (Idea)

GoldenMotor.com

bird_e

May 4, 2010
Boulder, Co
I have been thinking about a multi-speed friction drive and have an idea (half baked) but let me know if you think this is feasible.

If your were to take a internal geared multispeed rear hub and mount the hub as the friction roller itself and drive it from it's sprocket as you change gears the friction roller would change its ratio. It seems too simple...

A couple of questions come to mind, such as rotation... Do these hub rotate the correct direction for FD? Can you change it if not? Can you flip it around to make it work? Can these hubs work at such a high RPM?

hmmm.....
Bob

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
A multispeed friction drive sounds really good. Will it work? I have NO idea. If you don't mind laying up a bike for awhile I say go for it. If it doesn't work right, try again in a different way. Whats to lose? Maybe lots to gain!

Terry

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Purty awesome Bob! I really, really like it!

Folks have used them as part of their reduction so I think there is great hope for this.

I was planning a FD build just after 2 other projects so with your permission, would like to try it as well.

I had wanted to make it so it "pop" started. I wonder if they could be made to not freewheel? Well, any thing can be done.

Really is a great idea.

I am thinking drill out a rubber boat roller as a roller....

.flg.

bird_e

May 4, 2010
Boulder, Co
I believe there are some "fixed" gear internal geared hubs. That should allow it to turn in any direction with no free wheel

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The idea has been floated before, among several issues of concern I think the main one is whether a stock component made to turn several hundred rpms will hold up to several thousand.

On the other, fixed gear bikes by nature are one speed.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
After much drinking about this, er I mean thinking, what I'm planning is a saddle mounted Honda GX50 (secured to the seat and chain stay) with a Maxtourq or equivalent cen clutch. As this is more an experiment and proof of concept. That, and I can't figure out if the ratio will work well. Just gonna throw it together an' see.

Whats the worst that could happen? Snork

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
those hubs cost alot if u want a new one

a second hand one might not be in the best shape and already has been worn

i heard that between gear when you change up or down you can shred the teeth if your not carfull with the throttle

i would strip off the spokes and jbweld some sand on the hub itself

i would nix the clutch and chain and attach it right to the crank of a 25-50cc 2stroke wasp setup

if i had one i would use a 4 speed
2 under drives. a 1-1, and one over drive

again cost would be the only issue, im sure theres a learning curve so u can change up and down without ruining the hub

if i had a bike with a multispeed hub layin around id try it, but there pretty hard to find cheap

goodluck all id like to see this in action.cs.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have yet to try a boat trailer roller so is all academic as yet. But my thinking is it having more contact with the tire, will have better purchase. Being of a similar material, will cause less tire wear. Waiting for a pic to go threw. LOL, my thinking on going with a $25 a month cell phone plan was good too. The phone is connected to this laptop to charge but I have to email the pic to myself, then upload to photobucket to post. "Shin-dow-goo" is Japanese for "Demented machine" but implies a devise meant to make life easier but comes with it's own host of problems. Cracks me up and perfectly describes our thing.

But any way, what'a ya think Terry? Is 2.5" in the center and wraps around ballon tires like it was made to. Costs $5 new but can find a ton of them at scrap yards.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have been thinking about a multi-speed friction drive and have an idea (half baked) but let me know if you think this is feasible.

If your were to take a internal geared multispeed rear hub and mount the hub as the friction roller itself and drive it from it's sprocket as you change gears the friction roller would change its ratio. It seems too simple...

A couple of questions come to mind, such as rotation... Do these hub rotate the correct direction for FD? Can you change it if not? Can you flip it around to make it work? Can these hubs work at such a high RPM?

hmmm.....
Bob
Man, that's an AWESOME idea!dance1

Since the hub turns clockwise, its sprocket would have to be on the left(opposite) side. I believe a modified BMP gear/belt drive kit MIGHT work well with the internal hub. The engine mounts ahead, with centrifugal clutch, BMP shaft/axle and 10-tooth sprocket. This chains to the internal hub's sprocket. A two-piece rubber or steel sleeve bolted onto the internal hub would roll onto the tire.

The hub's spoked attachments might have to be machined off to clear the BMP drive housing.

What an inspirational project! If you could run it through gears instead of friction roller, it'd be a FANTASTIC invention!xct2

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Way cool idea! Just use a simple lack shaft to keep the rotation correct and if memory still works you may be able to do away with the free wheel with a well placed weld. That said its been like 25 years since I had one apart. Lol