HuaSheng 49cc output shaft size

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Does anyone happen to have the width of the output shaft (shaft that goes into the gearbox) of the HuaSheng 49cc engine? Thanks
Width? Do you mean diameter or length?
The diameter of most of them are 16 mm or 5/8" which is the same as the Honda GXH 50

However there are some Huashengs that have an undersized shaft at 15mm diameter.

Would help if you told us what you are planning to use for a gearbox? CVT?

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
and some have a tapered shaft as well...
I have an undersized 15mm shaft myself LOL

for some reason I have been chuckling since reading the end of the last post, so I thought I would keep the theme going ;)

The HS shaft is 15.8 MM or 15 MM, not 5/8"

The Honda GXH50 is also 15.8 MM

5/8" is .625"
15.8 MM is .622"
15 MM is .590

The shaft length is approx 1 & 5/8"
The 15 MM shaft will acept a 3/16" key [.1875"]
The 15.8 MM shaft requires a 4.5 MM metric key [.1771"]

Some HS motors have a tapered shaft [very short] without a keyway.

Have fun,

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Damn, I gotta get some new calipers as they are off by 0.2 mm LOL
Could be my eyes though and I only usually quibble over an 1/8" or more lol

If you are putting a 5/8" bore pulley on the shaft the 0.2mm is not a problem.
A shim will be needed for the 15 mm shaft.

Great info as usual, seriously.

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Very good info gentlemen. 15mm or 15.8 . Another question for you. I don't have the engine yet, it is on backorder. I will get it soon, so it will be the latest production. What is your best guess as to what a new production HS would be, 15 or 15.8? I'm lining up parts to add to this engine so I'm window shopping at the moment. Thanks again.

Oh, I'm adding a CVT.

Last edited:
Hi cobrafreak,

It depends on where you are buying the motor, as to shaft type. If you are considering a Chinese CVT then you should buy the short tapered shaft with the built in clutch.

If you are considering a unit such as the Comet, I wouldn't, as they like HP and need at least 5HP to alter ratios correctly.

You need to know CVTs eat a lot of power, and with only 2 HP to start with, how much can you give up?

A new HS can be either 15MM, 15.8 MM or tapered shaft. suggest you find out prior to ordering to make sure it will work with your requirments.

Have fun,

We played around with several CVTs and found the ratios on the Chinese units way off [made for scooters with small wheels], the Comet was way too large for the small motors.
After finding tranfer losses at almost 35% [1/3] we went in a different direction.

Currently I find it difficult to suggest using a CVT.

Have fun,

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Thanks Quenton. After your reply I canceled my order of the HauSheng. Now what do you recommend as far as the "correct engine" to use so I can use the comet CVT? A GX200 clone? BTW, where does one get a GX200 clone for a good price?

Last edited:

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
Thanks Quenton. After your reply I canceled my order of the HauSheng. Now what do you recommend as far as the "correct engine" to use so I can use the comet CVT? A GX200 clone? BTW, where does one get a GX200 clone for a good price?
The most common place our customers buy a gx200 clone motor is harbor freight. A lot of guys get their hands on a 20% off harbor freight coupon and use that coupon when the engines go on sale. Sometimes a new 6.5hp engine can be purchased for less than $100.

The 6.5hp weighs about 37lbs. It's a pretty big engine for a bicycle. You don't even need a torque converter (cvt) when using one of these engines. We put a completely stock 6.5hp engine in a beach cruiser frame and the bike would go 46mph. This is with the governor in the motor and only turning 3600 rpm. I could ride this bike up the steepest hill in my town and go 46 mph on the govenor. The engine is hardly working and could run this speed all day long.

The down side is the size and weight of a 6.5hp engine in a bicycle. That bike would get a lot of looks riding around town. Local law enforcement never bothered me. A stock 2.5hp HF engine works great in a bike and will fit in a lot more frames than the 6.5hp engine. We are having a great time with a modified HS engine using the q-matic. You have options when it comes to 4-stroke engines. Guess it just depends on what kind of bike you are building and how much engine you want to work with.

Reactions: Lorenzo Guevara