Finished Build and soon to be Started

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey Solokumba-

I was wondering if I could get a copy of those first two thumbnails?- I'd start a thread over this. Could you put them in a private message maybe or to [email protected]?

I've seriously been thinking that it would be great if someone made a tank that fit in a cruiser that looked like a retro tank frame like your Schwinn.

In fact I was almost ready to sketch one- and what I envisoned was just that size, but was more angular-

The retro look would probably make one even more popular- sorta art deco.

I imagine not a gas cap per say, but a little screw on cap like on a kerosene can.

anyway, I'm no metal fabricator, but I think if someone put out one that still affordable otherwise, they maybe couldn't make enough of them to keep up with sales...

.santa

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
No Prob. Pics are on the way. Let me know if you need anything else.
Pretty soon this bike is gonna be in a million pieces... or at least 30.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Solokumba-

I was wondering if I could get a copy of those first two thumbnails?- I'd start a thread over this. Could you put them in a private message maybe or to [email protected]?

I've seriously been thinking that it would be great if someone made a tank that fit in a cruiser that looked like a retro tank frame like your Schwinn.

In fact I was almost ready to sketch one- and what I envisoned was just that size, but was more angular-

I imagine not a gas cap per say, but a little screw on cap like on a kerosene can.

anyway, I'm no metal fabricator, but I think if someone put out one that still affordable otherwise, they maybe couldn't make enough of them to keep up with sales...

.santa
Don't think that's going to happen. If a company were to do it, they would only be interested in it if there were a lot of sales and the profit was decent. For an individual to make one the cost of materials and hours spent would put a hefty price tag on them. Just about everybody admires and wants an inframe tank... until they see what it will cost to have it made. We get a false sense of values here set by the price of the engine kit on a 2 stroke and imagine that it should be the most expensive thing on the bike... so they compare the price of an SBP shift kit and think it is expensive... or a custom gas tank which also costs at least as much and likely more than the engine kit. We want great, cool stuff, but don't want to pay for it.
SB

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Don't think that's going to happen. If a company were to do it, they would only be interested in it if there were a lot of sales and the profit was decent. For an individual to make one the cost of materials and hours spent would put a hefty price tag on them. Just about everybody admires and wants an inframe tank... until they see what it will cost to have it made. We get a false sense of values here set by the price of the engine kit on a 2 stroke and imagine that it should be the most expensive thing on the bike... so they compare the price of an SBP shift kit and think it is expensive... or a custom gas tank which also costs at least as much and likely more than the engine kit. We want great, cool stuff, but don't want to pay for it.
SB
I think you are correct that a mfr prolly wouldn't mass produce that tank and it would be daunting for most people to build. I saw a pic somewhere here but couldn't find it of someones tank they made out of a couple of old weedeater tanks inside of a fax tank shell. I think that an in frame tank could be fairly easily made from something like this Schwinn's tank shell with a couple of appx 3" extensions welded to either side using this same technique.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
reddd

All the kit tanks are are two halves- in this case a top and a bottom side- seamed together-

I think there might be some kind of manufacturer who could put one together and sell at a modest price-

maybe have a painted tank, and chrome for slightly more.

But what if that maufacturer could sell the tank to the Chinese to put in the kits?
Or what if the Chinese did it? How about a frame tank option at slightly more cost?

Doesn't hurt to dialogue.

Or what if kits were shipped without a tank, to have the frame tank added by the distributor? save some costs there in merchandise and shipping-

The post-kit sale numbers may or may not be great, but if they caught on, wouldn't it really be a nicer tank? I know I'd want one.

And the lower the weight is carried on the bike, the more stable it is- a full tank is a lot of weight, generally carried very high, and all that air under it!

Last edited:

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
Hey Solokumba-

.santa
or some sort of rubber bladder on the same lines as an inner tube with a vulcanized bung for fuel cap an one for the fuel cock....

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
What about Schwinn? They made the original tank here. Maybe they have the plans on file- an easy convert and they may still have the clout to make it happen-

They sell motor scooters and all kinds of electric scooters and bikes these days, mqaybe they could make some profit here.

We here think in terms of what we see, but these motors sell all over the world and are probably more prolific in a lot of countries- maybe American business could tap some of the market.

reddd This is a dead ringer for Mr. Steve "Moto" Reisinger- coach Delta Chi mid-70's

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey, I've just discovered how to save the attached thumbnails as a JPEG file on my own computer! You can save any photos here to your files.

Click on the thumnail- it comes up in the site's viewer-
then click on it again- this puts it on it's own page (You can view it larger too!)
Once it's on it's own page, go to "page" tab on your browser toolbar, click "save as"
and it will save the photo as a JPEG file in your pictures folder or whatever destination you assign.

COOL!