Spindle Problem

GoldenMotor.com

michaelgrav

Sep 14, 2009
sf bay area
I have a jackshaft assembly and went to start my bike and noticed the nut on my spindle backed out causing the whole guts loose and bearings hanging out. I stripped it down regreased the bearings tightened it down just enough so the spindle moved easily. I road about six miles when the bike quit. I looked down and the nut had backed out so far it was against mt sprocket and caused the motor to quit. Do I need to just change the bearing set only or the spindle also?

pdubs

Jan 16, 2010
chicago
im just starting on my Micargi Rover SBP conversion. my bottom bracket with the adapter and some cheap bearing set barely fits.. im doubting its longevity..

are you running cups and bearings or a complete cartridge?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
pdubs,
How about some photos of your BB installation and a description of what you think might be your issue and maybe I can help.

pdubs

Jan 16, 2010
chicago
hey Jim, i spoke to you on the phone last week.. the guy who forgot to order bearings for my bottom bracket, sorry i cut the conversation short that night, i was busy with our newborn :D

i bought an el cheapo set at a local bike shop that looks like the one on your webstore. the locking ring is barely hanging on by a thread, even after i shaved down the left side cup to sit recess in the bracket adapter (if all this makes sense).

what i need, if possible, is a longer threaded cup for the right side in order for me to thread the lock ring on secure. its been a long time since i have even worked with bottom brackets, the last time i even installed a 3piece crank was on an S&M Dirtbike over 10 years ago! so im not exactly sure if there are various sizes etc.. thanks for the help! :D

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
It sounds like you have the 73 mm wide bottom bracket tube. That requires a spindle with wider bearing races. We carry them, they are called a 7R spindle. I think this will solve your problem.