Not at all what you'd expect.

GoldenMotor.com

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
They call it the crumple factor, now we know how to disperse energy, back then in 59 we knew how to make them beautiful . Awsome vidio thanks for posting it .

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Well if I had the choice of driving away from a fender bender or walking away from a major accident...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My first choice is to avoid that kind of accident.... I don't drive any more lol... Now show me an accident with each and a bike and you will have my full attention.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That makes me angry!
Why, why, why did they need to use a beautifully restored '59!?!?!????
There are plenty of them around in rough shape, chassis and body still strong. Strong enough to destroy in a head on collision.

It really does show how the safety box design of newer cars has come a long ways though.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I can hear the classic Chevy guys crying their eyes out over that. Reminds me of the 'Home Improvement' episode when they supposedly crushed the Nomad.
Tom

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
It's not like they used a 55-57 or anything. I think the 59 Bel Air was the ugliest thing made in the 50's. They tried to hang on to the tail fins a little too long.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Tell me if this was sitting in your driveway you would'nt want to climb in and roll the windows down and head for a drive-in movie . When I was a kid we had a 59 wagon it held 6 kids 2 adults and room for my brother and I to fight with each other about who sat by the door. Oh yes , and room for mom to reach back and swat at us for fighting .

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Tell me if this was sitting in your driveway you would'nt want to climb in and roll the windows down and head for a drive-in movie . When I was a kid we had a 59 wagon it held 6 kids 2 adults and room for my brother and I to fight with each other about who sat by the door. Oh yes , and room for mom to reach back and swat at us for fighting .
No it wasn't.
By the time I was that age, we had a fire engine red '72 Chevy Malibu in the driveway.
Ooooh man, I wanted that car when I was a kid and Still want it today.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If I had one given to me I wouldn't complain but to go and search for a 59 to restore, no.

About 20 years ago the only people who restored 58's or 59's were people who couldn't afford a 55, 56 or 57. lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I heard the Nomad they crushed was rusted through and through and not worth restoring, a "crash dummy".
Actually, and I saw how they did it, they used a rusted, wrecked and trashed 4 door wagon for that scene. They shot it with a coat of glossy red paint to make it look like the Nomad. They dubbed in the crushing scene. The camera was stationary and they switched cars before the steel beam was dropped. Even then, the show's producers, the network and even Tim Allen got hate mail from the hardcore Chevy fans. "Why would you trash a classic Chevy?" They wanted to know. Even if it was one that had no real value as a restoration project...Like I said, hardcore. The real Nomad used in 'Home Improvement' is alive and well and owned by Jay Leno today.
Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Out in the desert, somewhere between San Diego and Mamoth, I have seen the biggest junkyard I have ever seen. The fence line must have gone a 1/2 mile. Inside it is rows apon rows of classic cars. They range from 1920's to 1960's. All in various states of disrepair. Alot of them are in in darn good condition!
I have been told that none are for sale. It is a gigantic storage lot for Hollywood.
They are in that particular stretch of desert because rust creeps extremely slow, there is no humidity to speak of. If anyone were to try to steal a car or a few, you only have 2 ways to depart. Either way you will get busted. The whole area is well guarded by surveilance.