Whasta matter here?

GoldenMotor.com

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Did you ride ,or park your bike in the rain.
What gas oil mix are you using.
The spark plug and wire are the first thing to go.
The factory parts are that bad.

Remove all kill switch junk for now.
You must have a capped off white wire.
Blue to blue
Black to Black
Solder and tape these connections.
The banging or popping noise may be your Patented stretch O matic chain.

Yes sir it is a Genuine Stretch O Matic.
The Chain is probably the next thing to replace.

Last edited:

Zippster

Oct 8, 2008
Austin Texas
I just installed the new wire and the NGK B7HS, and it runs beautifully! Its stronger than it ever was before, and everything's working for once at the same time. .shft. I know the plug is a tad bit cooler than recommended, but its the only one I could find.

One thing is a bit strange, though, and I attribute this to the plug. When I start it up, it takes a moment to really get going, but once it starts moving its off like a flash. The idle speed varies a lot, and for whatever reason it will rev really fast after any use of the throttle, and then slow back down after it cools down again. I found myself constantly adjusting the idle screw (its hand-turnable) to keep it in check in long spurts and then turning it back up so it wouldn't die on me when it slowed down.

Again that's probably the plug, but I don't have enough experience to know.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Unstable idle and slow return to idle equals lean mixture or air leak.

I use a lit cigarette or a lit lighter around the inlet side to find the leak.

If no leak the richen her up.

Lean motors go well for a little while...

Then Kaboom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Unstable idle and slow return to idle equals lean mixture or air leak.

I use a lit cigarette or a lit lighter around the inlet side to find the leak.

If no leak the richen her up.

Lean motors go well for a little while...

Then Kaboom
DISCLAIMER....
DO NOT USE A "LIT LIGHTER" AROUND THE CARB, INTAKE OR GAS TANK.

Zippster

Oct 8, 2008
Austin Texas
For whatever the reason, the next time I rode the bike, the idle problem had fixed itself. I'm not complaining...

She now runs beautifully, and has plenty of take-off capacity. I'm even considering a slightly smaller sprocket with all this newfound power, but will probably stick with the stock one for the low-end offroading torque.

I pulled the plug an hour ago, and when you look at it head on the circle at the top was nice and charred black, as with the base of the electrode. I leaned it out one notch (to the leanest it gets, appearantly), and she runs even better now, as if it wasnt powerful enough already.

That being said, excluding ridiculous notions of turbos and nos kits, how would I further strengthen the engine? As of yet the only modifications are the new plug and wire and the slight mixture adjustment, so there must be a place to go from here. I know that theres something to be said about the muffler and exhaust system, but I don't know for sure. And what about higher-octane fuel?

I'm relatively sure that my engine is broken in to its maximum, and yet I still have about 3/4 gallon of 16:1 gas mix. Can I still use it? Or should I scrap it and remix 20:1

Finally on a lighter note, has anyone else named their bikes, or is that kind of creepy...

Thanks all

PS
I almost forgot.... brnot.wee.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
You could get a tuned exhaust pipe for increased power. Higher octane fuel on these engines really isn't necessary; it doesn't give much noticable improvement either. Stick with 87. As for break-in for these engines, go for two tankfulls on 16:1 natural, then switch to 24:1 or 32:1 synthetic oil. I've had my motorized bike for 3.5 years and I personally think that naming one is kinda creepy, although some others do. I just call it my motorized bike.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HEY ZIPPSTER, YOU ARE A HAPPY CYCLER NOW! IF YOU HAVE A LARGE ENOUGH MIX CONTAINER, MIX YOUR 32-1 OR WHATEVER AND DUMP WHAT YOU HAVE LEFT OF THE 16-1 WITH IT. YOU SHOULD NEVER CHANGE YOUR MEDS TOO MUCH AT ONCE!!laff RON

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
You may also have one of those "special" plugs that has the loose electrode. I would just spend the $3 and get a new plug. Might as well get a new plug wire while your at it.
I had one of those dang spark plugs, all the engine did was backfire, sometimes fire, and 4 cycle, it took me a week to figure out why?

flynchef

Jun 5, 2008
Wilmington, IL
there is no such thing as a factory gap on spark plugs. how many opportunities are there for the plug in its original box to be dropped? every time it gets dropped is an opportunity for the plug gap to change. spend the money to get a gap tool there under $5.00 at wally world or kmarty. Also look to see if the air filter is plugged, i found out the hard way that it needs high air flow to run.