HELP! Bike wont roll forward

GoldenMotor.com

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
So i left my bike in the dumpster area locked up while i was working, it got rained on a little and i pulled the clutch back and started to ride when the back wheel just gets locked up. i cant push it forward nothing, so i checked the gears in the clutch case and they seemed to be rolling fine backward but not forward. Ive been trying to fix it the last four days and im starting to give up hope. its the only thing i have to get back and fourth to work, it would be great if a more experienced person gave me some help on how to fix this.:-||:-||

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Sounds like the left side small sprocket came loose.

If the cable has not slipped in the clutch arm, I would pull the 5 bolt/screw clutch cover on the right side and with a rubber mallet or the palm of your hand give the clutch face a light whack. If it moves inward then yes the left side small sprocket came loose. Leaving your clutch arm still attached to the cable pull that small gear cover (3 Screws/bolts) and check the nut. If loose - remove it. See if your woodruff key is whole and in place. Because your clutch is locked engaged, it's unlikely it's sheared but take a good look at it. If badly flattened replace the toothed washer with one similar from the hardware store. Their is no place for red locktite on these bikes anywhere ----- EXCEPT---- right here

Last edited:

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
I actually don't have a tensioner on the bike for the chain i just knocked a couple links off to get it nice. and i have no idea what a left side small sprocket is..

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
i did what you said allen, and it doesnt push in when i hit it with the palm of my hand, im looking at the clutch gears as im rolling it and it popes out a little and rolls for about 2 feet and locks up.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
i did what you said allen, and it doesnt push in when i hit it with the palm of my hand, im looking at the clutch gears as im rolling it and it popes out a little and rolls for about 2 feet and locks up.
on the opposite side of those clutch gears, pull the cover where your chain feeds. 3 screws in the cover. One of those- the longest-upper right- is a mount for motor chain gaurd.. anyway leave the clutch cable hooked up and pull that cover equally unscrewing each scrw, take off the cover, check that nut holding the small drive sprocket is tight. if not---go back to my previous post. We'll figure it out.:-||

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your chain tension and alignment need attention. If it rolls backwards and not forward the chain is binding either on the drive or driven sprocket.
What is the chain tension? It should be 1/2" to 3/4" of slack. More or less will cause you problems. I suspect the chain is bunching up on the engine drive sprocket and engine case because the chain is too loose.

Tom