Rap music......(if you can call it that).

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
When my children were growing up I told them that Rap music was a punishment for being naughty and anyone listening to it had to do it because they were being punished. My opinion hasn't changed over the years and with my next door neighbours playing gangster rap much too loud on their stereo this morning my only conclusion is that my neighbours must've been extremely poorly behaved to have to suffer such a stream of non-musical foul mouthed chanting for the past two hours.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I think I may have told this one before: when I lived in an apartment in Cleveland (really the suburb of Lakewood) I was next door to a largely-hispanic apartment complex. A guy would drive up at around 2 or 3 in the morning to either drop off or pick up some lady over there, and his car radio would always be blaring Mariachi music at top volume from a local FM station.. I still had my old Mr. Microphone, and a box of sundry electronics parts. So I boosted its signal, tuned it to that station, and the next time I heard Los Fabulosos Cadillacs shaking my windows I turned on Mr. Microphone and yelled "TURN THAT $H!T DOWN!" just as loud as my voice would allow. It came right out of his stereo speakers, and sounded like it made the dumpster ring. I could hear the echo of my own voice. I had some quiet evenings after that.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
you guys sound kind intolerant... I agree that playing your music too loud or making your neighbors listen to it is bad - but don't hate on it because it differers from your preferences. I happen to love lots of rap music and although some of it contains "no talent" much of it carries real meaning. I dont think denouncing an entire genre of music based on what you have heard your neighbors playing at 3 in the morning is very wise. It isnt by any means the only music I listen to but I think its a type of music that deserves a lot more respect than it gets.

(not intended to de disrespectful in any way - just a pt of view from"the other side")

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I don't hate on rap. It's just not my generation. I do hate on inconsiderate neighbors.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I try and remember there is "little meaning or merit" to personal preference aside to the person whom has it, that such is cultural, an environmental influence - that if I had been raised amongst peers with an inclination for a particular music genre, it's very likely I too would share that inclination, even if it were no more than an atonal beating on dented hubcaps with a chorus of regurgitation.

There's lots of music I don't like, even hate... there's even some I used to like and now shudder when I hear it again, I suspect it's very likely that some I dislike now I may come to appreciate someday.

This would be a quintessential example of "to each their own" ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
On the other hand I'm quite inclined to cast aspersions on the motivations behind the production of such, not limited to any one genre it's quite common that there's little other than financial.

Repetitive resamplings of other people's work with a backbeat of greed glorified for profit?

That sounds like "pop" to me, be it dance, techno, rap or any other - the question being, why do people pay to listen to spam? :p

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
I try and remember there is "little meaning or merit" to personal preference aside to the person whom has it, that such is cultural, an environmental influence - that if I had been raised amongst peers with an inclination for a particular music genre, it's very likely I too would share that inclination, even if it were no more than an atonal beating on dented hubcaps with a chorus of regurgitation.

There's lots of music I don't like, even hate... there's even some I used to like and now shudder when I hear it again, I suspect it's very likely that some I dislike now I may come to appreciate someday.

This would be a quintessential example of "to each their own" ;)
:) thumbs up man

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
you guys sound kind intolerant... I agree that playing your music too loud or making your neighbors listen to it is bad - but don't hate on it because it differers from your preferences. I happen to love lots of rap music and although some of it contains "no talent" much of it carries real meaning. I dont think denouncing an entire genre of music based on what you have heard your neighbors playing at 3 in the morning is very wise. It isnt by any means the only music I listen to but I think its a type of music that deserves a lot more respect than it gets.

(not intended to de disrespectful in any way - just a pt of view from"the other side")
I think perhaps I should have clarified better: I am in no way intolerant of Mariachi music or rap at this very moment. And would be happy to listen to Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, or Nas, MC Hammer, Eminem maybe. But at 2 or 3 in the morning...I would be very intolerant of even so much as a Bach concerto, particularly if played as loud as the stereo could manage.
I have found music and art which I loved in every genre I came across. I even found a German Rapper I liked: Solo. You name it: Country, Industrial, Punk, Classical, Hard Rock, Metal, Baroque, Chamber, abstract & performance art, and on and on.
But, if jarred from a sound sleep and deafened forthwith, I'm like an old pineapple grenade with a missing pin - not anybody's friend.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
I think perhaps I should have clarified better: I am in no way intolerant of Mariachi music or rap at this very moment. And would be happy to listen to Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, or Nas, MC Hammer, Eminem maybe. But at 2 or 3 in the morning...I would be very intolerant of even so much as a Bach concerto, particularly if played as loud as the stereo could manage.
I have found music and art which I loved in every genre I came across. I even found a German Rapper I liked: Solo. You name it: Country, Industrial, Punk, Classical, Hard Rock, Metal, Baroque, Chamber, abstract & performance art, and on and on.
But, if jarred from a sound sleep and deafened forthwith, I'm like an old pineapple grenade with a missing pin - not anybody's friend.
yeah man - agreed. even my neighbors having a car-door-slamming party in the middle of the night pisses me off

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Yup, to each their own.

The only crime is inflicting "yours" on others.
THAT'S IT! I could not possibly have said it better (or shorter)! Well said! That's what I mean: it's like taking away someone else's choice.

When the music you play is so loud that others are forced to hear it, or when your spray-painted work of graffiti art is plastered on somebody else's building, or any time that other people can't find a way to escape what you're doing and have to endure it unwillingly - that's the crime we're talking about.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
On the other hand I'm quite inclined to cast aspersions on the motivations behind the production of such, not limited to any one genre it's quite common that there's little other than financial.

Repetitive resamplings of other people's work with a backbeat of greed glorified for profit?

That sounds like "pop" to me, be it dance, techno, rap or any other - the question being, why do people pay to listen to spam? :p
Hollywood movies, cable/satelite tv for that matter.