Break-in questions for 80cc kit

GoldenMotor.com

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
In the manual I got with my 80cc 2 stroke kit it says:
During run-in, keep the mix ratio at 16:1 for 500 kilometers and keep your speed down to a maximum of 20 kph and do not run your motor for longer than 30 minutes. After run-in keep a mix ratio of 20:1 and use high quality synthetic Motorbike.
I get a kick out of that last part. Anyways, 16:1 and 20:1 seems like an awful lot of oil to me. The lowest ratio I have ever heard of is 30:1. What is everybody else using for a mix ratio and what type of oil are you using? I am assuming ashless 2 cycle engine oil would be best in this case.

Also, about the speed and distance. I did the math and you are not supposed to go faster than 12.5MPH for the first 300miles. That sounds like something that could make the list of 1000 worst ways to die.
Again, what do you think is a good break-in procedure for this engine?

I think some meaning was lost when they translated the manual for this kit.

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
16:1 - 20:1 is fine for break-in, though I've heard that some people don't use break in mixes at all and have no problems, but I'd still recommend breaking in with a rich fuel mix.

40:1 is the best mix after break-in :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I break in at 30:1 and run it at 40:1 after three tanks. No special break in procedure, just vary throttle settings a lot and no long closed throttle downhills. Been using this break in for years on two strokes with nary a problem.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
maniac57 has the goods!

Of course the OP had it pretty close too. :)

You NEED to open up the throttle a bit (3/4-full) is harmless for short bursts) to seat the rings.

Do run the engine as you normally would...and by that I mean-
Don't lug it down to low rpm with a heavy load.
Don't run downhill for any length of time with the throttle closed (pull the clutch, blip the throttle).
Don't run it wide open at high rpm for any longer than you can stand the thought of seizing it and eating the peach. (see "the grenade finally went off" thread)

Do- Check your plug to be sure you have the carb set right.
Do- Mix fresh gas/oil in a clean container, not at the pump in your tank.
Do- Take care to keep an eye on the other aspects of the bike like the dreaded tensioner.
Do- Use only a quality 2 stroke oil for AIR COOLED ENGINES (no out board stuff), and mix between 32 and 40:1. 50:1 is good if you run synthetic, and can read your plug properly after break in.