How do I know the Engine I just got is a Flying Horse?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I took the carb off with fuel in the line and its bone dry inside the carb.
That's a problem. You're going to have to trouble shoot that. Could be a few different things.

First thing to check is the petcock and the tank vent. Remove the fuel line from the carb, and open the petcock. See if you have fuel flow. If not, remove the gas cap, and try again. If you have no fuel flow then find out why. A common problem is gas caps don't have vent holes.

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
That's a problem. You're going to have to trouble shoot that. Could be a few different things.

First thing to check is the petcock and the tank vent. Remove the fuel line from the carb, and open the petcock. See if you have fuel flow. If not, remove the gas cap, and try again. If you have no fuel flow then find out why. A common problem is gas caps don't have vent holes.
Now I took the gas tank lid off and hit the tickle a bunch with the carb off and I got a good trickle of gas coming through the entire carb now. put the carb back on. Tried starting it again and still nothing. So far the spark plug has never been wet.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Now I took the gas tank lid off and hit the tickle a bunch with the carb off and I got a good trickle of gas coming through the entire carb now. put the carb back on. Tried starting it again and still nothing. So far the spark plug has never been wet.
Could be the gas cap is not vented?

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
erm.... do u have the clutch connected yet? Can you hear the engine turning over? Do you have the petcock (fuel switch) in the open position? Are u SURE all ur wiring is connected properly? If all of these are yes then try to disconnect the kill switch as many are bad from the factory. I highly doubt that the magnet is not turning b/c that would mean u sheared a key and seeing that u havent run the motor yet i dont see haw that could happen. Below is a diagram of proper wring. Hope this helps Moto.

Last edited:

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
its a huge problem if the magnet isnt spinning with the engine
just to be clear this is the magneto

http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/Magneto Mystery.html
Yes I'm afraid that is what I'm talking about. The thing next to the coil does not spin with or without the clutch engaged while the bike is moving. Nor can I move it with my fingers. I have the killswitch completely disconnected. However I just noticed that my muffler doesn't make the little "chug chug" from the engine turning over like it used too.. Before I adjusted the flower nut and clutch trying to get the rear wheel to spin without the engine engaged. SO I think that me trying to adjust the flower nut on the clutch plate caused some kinda problem where the engine does not turn over like it did when I was threading the chain in. How do I get the engine turning over again? Once thats done I'm sure the magneto will follow suite. Thank you all very much for any assistance given, It really helps.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
the round magnet should be if the engine is turning no matter what its on the crank
you have a serious issue with your motor might want to call for a replacement

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
I HAVE IGNITION!! Pardon the caps but now I'm excited. Now Ive narrowed down my problem to being the throttle not working and the engine not staying on longer than about 10 seconds. That's pretty good considering all the other problems that are now eliminated. I heard the engine fire when I engaged it but when I revved the throttle it didn't do anything. Definitely gonna keep trying now that the engine is actually turning over and firing :)

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
OH man what a rush, I just drove off on my bike for the first time. WITH the engine running and purring like a kitten. Would have been a death trap without the killswitch wired in though. The throttle does nothing and it seemed to be mostly wide open regardless of what I did so I had to use the killswitch like a throttle. Gonna adjust the throttle now and I should be ready to rock and roll. Thanks for the tip on removing the airfilter to check the throttle ill try that now.

EDIT: Also, it ran with the gas tank lid screwed on. Guess that was never an issue. Having problems with the throttle, as in, the thing tears out at what I think is probably full throttle and the throttle doesn't do a thing. Kinda feels like I'm just along for the ride LMAO. Killswitch is definitely a lifesaver.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
It sounds like the barrel is stuck in the carb. Pull the carb off the intake and take a look inside. It should be almost all the way down and raise and lower when you twist the throttle. If it's open, check the idle screw on the side to be sure it isn't all the way in (keeping the barrel up), and check that the needle is dropping smoothly into the stem in the fuel bowl. You also may not have the barrel aligned correctly, so check it too.

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
It sounds like the barrel is stuck in the carb. Pull the carb off the intake and take a look inside. It should be almost all the way down and raise and lower when you twist the throttle. If it's open, check the idle screw on the side to be sure it isn't all the way in (keeping the barrel up), and check that the needle is dropping smoothly into the stem in the fuel bowl. You also may not have the barrel aligned correctly, so check it too.

This was in fact the problem.