finally building my rat

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
converted the bottom bracket today modded the chaingaurd an bolted the tank on , I ended up with more room for the motor than expected , but the area behind the seat tube is gonna get cramped the jackshaft is goin to sit down low in behind the chaingaurd as well as the battery box an anything else I can hide in there .when I get that far pics will follow .
Gary

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
LOL no pixie dust , but as the marines would say "adapt an overcome ". doing a tank that way is simple tho , an yes it was the original tank light for that bike .
at the point where the tank would fit around the steer tube you just fan it open 3 inches an tack weld in a small peice of steel rod to hold it open ,(make sure you prefit your filler bung at this point as some bungs may need more room to fit on top of the tank) make paper templates of the gaps with a 1/8 inch overlap on all sides ,an use 18 gauge steel to cut your peices from ,tack weld those in place an do a pre fit , more than likely you will have to tweak the tanks fit a bit at that point the heat from welding will want to make it warp , so check its fit often durring welding (take your time good beads of weld will be important to keep it from leaking )weld ALL SEAMS SHUT , cut your bung openings last after fitting the tank an motor in place. (incorrect placing of the petcock bung can make your life **** )
finally fit the tank one lat time to align it on center line mark that the full length of your tank an weld 3 bolts on center line . or adapt to fit your needs here, this bike has dual top tubes paralle to eachother making hanging it easy , a diff method for a single tube would be more difficult but not that much more troublesome . getting it this far should take about 4 hours
easy peasy, seal it do your finish work an paint it . an in my opinion you will have a "bangin " fuel tank that after this conversion will hold exactly a 1/2 gallon of fuel . .shft.
Gary

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was kind of hoping you'd have a good source for pixie dust. Easy peasy, eh? I imagine so as long as you're an ace welder, and fabricator in general. I suspect I would burn some holes in that tank if I tried it. I'm better with solder than welding steel, but doubt that soldering would go easy with that tank.

I'm guessing, too, that one of your hours would equal a good day for me. So your four hours would stretch out to a week anyway, and that's if things went well. One day for each or your hours (my day has a nap in the middle with no quick moves). Just picking up a tool from the floor may take awhile. Then allow a couple days worth of staring & swearing and another one to recover from the exhausting pace and stress of the project.

But with enough tank liner it would hold gas and eventually I could say, "oh yeah, I made that tank. It was pretty easy." (Easy peasy, actually. Ha!)
Thanks for the how-to, Gary. Nice tank for sure.
SB

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
hung the motor still got a pile of work to do for the rear mount there , but I had seen a really easy mount someone else had built here so when I get to it he gets all the credit (cant remember who ). thought yall might like a peek .
Gary

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, you know I've been lurking but keeping quiet. Finally the internal combustion thing is in place so I know it's a real motorbike.

It's down and dirty and looking' so fine. But, we expect nothing less from you. Carry on.

Tom

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Thank you " lurking" Tom. (hehehe) I was lookin at it this morn while cleaning up the mess I left out last night an thought about doing paint on it flat black over all an flat white or red oxide as a 2 tone doing big scalops on the fenders an such, an that really got me thinking . part of me says leave it an the other part says YES ! any opinions from yall ?
Gary

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's where ya gotta ask yourself, "How Rat do I want to go?"
I've seen rat rods with little to no paint, mostly rust, that looked cool and I've seen them in red, black and grey suede. The beauty of a rat is that you can change your mind and not get into a big investment of time or money to totally change the look.
Let us know what you decide.

Currently I'm diggin' the different color fenders. :)

Tom

Last edited:

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
ether way you go its a sweet ride i like the slammed low look of it flat black would be nice i think it needs pin striping ether way if you keep the fenders the way they are or paint them if you keep them in there paint pin stripes will pull it together and give you a over the top result making it truly amazing

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Thanks Tom an Jonnyr , I like those really rusty dangerous lookin rats , but preety sure I made up my mind while building the jackshaft assembly tonight , you will just see it after its done . heres some mock up shots of the jackshaft assembly, an to follow the finish shots in another post.
Gary

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I did it ! successful transplant of a 5 speed onto a coaster hub .total cost 4.00 , an 5 hours first pic , the micargi hub as it was after removing everything coaster brake related, I got real into it so not many pics , but 2nd is the cog side of the 5 spd hub mocked into place once attached an it runs true hardest thing was figuring out how to center it up to within a thousandth or 2 that took 2 hours ya gotta love jbweld an 5/16 capscrews. now just to do some minor mods on the rear an the rat has 5 gears ! Gary

Attachments

Last edited: