Choke & throttle cable question...

GoldenMotor.com

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
I'm not ready for the adjustment stage yet but so I can say that I asked. These don't ever get touched unless the carbs bein cleaned, right ? The choke bolt/thingy offset is how it came from factory if that's a problem.

121017_0007.jpg

I will say the one thing confusing me is the choke since this is the first engine I've seen with a handle bar choke.

Not even sure how to properly use this kind of choke, heck... any choke really lol

121017_0008.jpg

Sent from my PANTECH Crossover ™ on AT&T via Forum Runner.

Last edited:

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
The choke, I never used mine. I have since cut it off. The plunger is down in the hole and held in with a screw. If you find that you never need to use yours, you can do the same thing.

Basically, mount it on the bars (or anywhere else for that matter), and never touch it unless you need to. Some people find that they need to use it to get the bike started and warmed up.

those adjustment screws can be used. The choke one, not so much. But the one for the throttle will help remove slop in the throttle grip. There is a similar adjustment that you can make at the throttle grip. the inner part of the adjuster should be threaded into the carb at least 5-6 turns for strength.

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
The choke, I never used mine. I have since cut it off. The plunger is down in the hole and held in with a screw. If you find that you never need to use yours, you can do the same thing.

Basically, mount it on the bars (or anywhere else for that matter), and never touch it unless you need to. Some people find that they need to use it to get the bike started and warmed up.

those adjustment screws can be used. The choke one, not so much. But the one for the throttle will help remove slop in the throttle grip. There is a similar adjustment that you can make at the throttle grip. the inner part of the adjuster should be threaded into the carb at least 5-6 turns for strength.
Ill probably just leave the choke on there so if n when I need it I can use it. Just weird though bec of the clicker part of it, the handle bar piece. Like where u can push it so far to use it if that makes any sense.

Sent from my PANTECH Crossover ™ on AT&T via Forum Runner.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
This "choke" on the CNS carb is actually an enrichment jet. Rather than having an air choke on the filter to richen the mix for cold starting, the enrichment jet richens the mix by opening an extra jet that is controlled by a plunger attached to this cable.
Depending on how your carb is tuned and the weather you ride in the enrichment jet may or may not be needed. I find that when the motor is cold and running rough opening the enrichment jet smooths things out, I also find that once the motor is slightly warm it doest like to idle with the enrichment jet opened. I tend to use the enrichment jet for cold weather start, but only very briefly.
I never liked that old school style lever for my enrichment jet. Since I only use the enrichment jet a few seconds and the bike doesn't like to idle with this jet open this lever was inconvenient for me. Since I never use the front dérailleur now that the motor is installed, I removed the front dérailleur and now use its lever that is built into my brake handle for my enrichment jet. This worked out great for me for several reasons. First, if I don't push the lever far enough to latch it springs back and closes the enrichment jet. This is nice since I only use the jet momentarily, when its cold and running rough I just hold the lever in with my thumb for a second or two to richen the mix and it snaps back closed when I let go. This allows me to richen the mix slightly on demand without moving my hands from the handlebars. Since the bike will stall if I hold the enrichment jet opened when the motor is warm I started using this method to kill the motor, this is nice for me because I am running a more sturdy metal mini-bike throttle that doesn't have any switches on it, I previously had rigged up a kill switch but mounting it was PITA so I was glad to do away with it. This change has also cleaned up my bars quite a bit since I no longer need this extra cable and lever for the enrichment jet, and no longer need a kill switch mounted next to my throttle. I did leave the kill switch wired and placed in a less noticeable spot in case I ever need it.
Sorry for rambling, I was confused about the "choke" on the CNS carb when I first got it too, hope some of what I said helps clear it up for you....