99 Predator oil leak at governor

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've been putting the miles on my new Predator engine and noticed today that there is oil sitting in the area of the governor control. You can see it puddled in the photo. I had this same thing occur with a 79cc Greyhound and never did anything about it, but I'd like to fix it on this Predator engine. It seems to me that the only possible source is the Governor control, now disabled.

Does anyone else have this happening? Any suggestions on sealing it up?

SB

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I've been putting the miles on my new Predator engine and noticed today that there is oil sitting in the area of the governor control. You can see it puddled in the photo. I had this same thing occur with a 79cc Greyhound and never did anything about it, but I'd like to fix it on this Predator engine. It seems to me that the only possible source is the Governor control, now disabled.

Does anyone else have this happening? Any suggestions on sealing it up?

SB
Mine weeped from there at first. I think that until the rings seat there is some excessive blowby pressurizing the crankcase causing it to weep.
Also, during break-in I was running the sheet out of it. I believe in the hard break-in method.
Now, it doesn't leak no matter how I run it.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Mine weeped from there at first. I think that until the rings seat there is some excessive blowby pressurizing the crankcase causing it to weep.
Also, during break-in I was running the sheet out of it. I believe in the hard break-in method.
Now, it doesn't leak no matter how I run it.
That's good to know. I've been running mine hard, too. I don't really do a "break in", I just run it with a lot of full out hill climbing. Have you noticed any change in power now that your's has settled in?

I'm impressed with this engine... nice grunt and I like the way it sounds. It's a lot of motor for the money.
SB

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That's good to know. I've been running mine hard, too. I don't really do a "break in", I just run it with a lot of full out hill climbing. Have you noticed any change in power now that your's has settled in?

I'm impressed with this engine... nice grunt and I like the way it sounds. It's a lot of motor for the money.
SB
LOL that's my break-in method. Yes, the power comes up a little after a while. Hard to notice though cuz they run pretty strong allready.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I would change the oil real frequently at first, until the amount of aluminum in the oil subsides.After the first hour, and about every 5 hours, 2 or 3 times is my method.

Last edited:

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
two dumb questions what oil and is the govener removed

i wander if some high temps rtv gasket sealer or something similar would work i just dont know how hot the engine gets their .

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I use 10w30 automotive mineral oil like the booklet says ,with excellent results. Have almost 800 miles on my first build with the 2 speed FD tranny.. All govenor parts intact except for removing friction throttle, and reversing the pull of the external spring, to keep the throttle closed. My throttle cable is attached to the bellcrank right next to the rod that controls the carb's throttle, and it's housing is simply clamped to one of the cantilever bars under the tank..

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
two dumb questions what oil and is the govener removed

i wander if some high temps rtv gasket sealer or something similar would work i just dont know how hot the engine gets their .
You can put rtv on the exhaust manifold and it won't burn off for a looong time. Anywhere else on the engine is game. My engine stopped weeping there after the rings seated.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
My Pred99 never leaked there but I did notice when I removed the gov. from the inside, (I cut the top of the shaft off to ease removal), I did notice some axial movement in the shaft, meaning the hole may be a bit big. I would try using a small Center Punch, about 1/16th from the shaft and make light dings around the whole shaft to tighten it up a bit.(the case, not the shaft) OR Maybe one of the new Schwinn front wheel axle bearing(conical) seals, 'bout the same size.

Mac

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
mine leaks too. I was thinking of putting an o ring there & a flat washer on top of the o ring under the cotter pin, if it fits.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think I'll just exercise some patience and see if it goes away on it's own as the engine breaks in. Mine doesn't leak much, I can keep it cleaned up easily enough.
The O ring sounds like it might work, but be careful not to let anything drop into the engine, if that's possible. Take photos if you do it.
SB