212 predator

GoldenMotor.com

rotary guy

Jan 5, 2012
North Carolina
Thought I would try a 4 stroke build, wondering what bikes the 212 predator that HF has on sale would work. what trans would work? also any other tips would be appreciated.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
I would love to do a 212 Predator build, but I want to be able to drive it on the roads going back and forth to work and I think that kind of size would get me stopped. I'm sticking with the 99CC Predator. I should be starting by mid April on my build. Just received an email from HF this morning. 3 day weekend sale the 212cc Predator is 99.99.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
first tip.. find out the laws for your state and what the limits are on CC and hp
for most states its 50cc and under with 2hp or less
I've had a china girl and technically that is higher than the 50cc requirement for CT, but I never got stopped since it is a small looking motor. There isn't much size difference in the 49cc 4 stroke to the 99cc Predator so I'm planning on just putting a 49cc sticker right over the top of the one that comes on the predator. Yes, I'm skirting the law a little, but not enough that it will hurt anything. I don't think I could get away with a 49cc sticker over the top of the 212cc sticker on the larger Predator though.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
you might want to read this thread and decide if its a risk your willing to make by riding a bike that according to your state laws is not legal

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=31195

remember most with a badge will write tickets just to write tickets so you have to pay $$$ and for some leo they will make up their own laws to so they can write the tickets

the judge could care less on what seems fair to you only what the law IS

rotary guy

Jan 5, 2012
North Carolina
I see what you guys are saying, I guess it would be better to go with the 99cc. Can I use a torque converter part # 218353A? I can make the bushing. Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
Thanks for the link. I've read that before. CT is pretty lax in their laws. They define a moped as being 50cc or less with no more than 5 brake HP with or without pedals and not able to do more than 35mph. Pedal assisted bicycles fall into the same category as all mopeds. You don't have to have it registered, insured or licensed at all. The only rule is that the driver must have a vehicle motor license. I plan on gearing mine to not exceed 35mph so there should be no reason i should be stopped. I'll just have good hill climbing capability and good acceleration.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
I see what you guys are saying, I guess it would be better to go with the 99cc. Can I use a torque converter part # 218353A? I can make the bushing. Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks
I actually talked to Shawn at AGK yesterday about the torque converter for the 99cc Predator and he says that it doesn't have enough HP to use a TQ efficiently. You need to be up above 5hp or so before they can really be used since a TQ steals about .5hp from the engine right off the bat. He suggested their jackshaft kit or the EZM Q-matic.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Symmetric Comet 20 Series
Torque Converters For 3hp to 8hp Engines

in stock form the 99 is 3.5 hp ditch the stock exaust and air cleaner take out the gov and you be fine and cruizin in style

and one of AGK's race bikes uses a 2speed jackshaft system that was first used on a 1968 rupp minibike

nothing new on how clutches work here

Last edited:

rotary guy

Jan 5, 2012
North Carolina
I just spoke to Don at comet, he said the torque converter would work fine on a 3hp predator. His # is 608 774 0481. if you would like to pick his brain. There are chinese take offs of the 218353a on ebay for $129. shipped.

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
IN ohio motorized bikes are illegal because it needs to be an approved model.
also you cant go faster then 20 mph as a moped which i dont mind but still thats kinda slow.so i figure if its illigal might as well go as big as you can.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I am not building a race bike just something that will get me to work and home and anywhere else i want to go so I really don't have a need for speed as i'm not ever going to race my build. As long as I can ride faster then I can run I am a happy guy. If I feel the need to go fast I will just take the truck

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Wanted to get a 99 cc predator today, but for $99. the 212 won out. $118. with a year replacement.

Tired of the unreliability of the 2 strokes, this looks like it may work well, if I can make it fit. Already ordered a clutch, now need to change it to a 3/4" size.

Will make my own jackshaft. Hope I can make the pedals clear the engine.
After some quick eyeballing it looks a little big??!!

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
I bought the 212cc Predator, and I'm not gonna stop at the situation that befell me after I started to gather the parts for my build. As even the State Trooper I original spoke to before I started to purchase, hadn't seen this coming. This won't stop me from driving my build, Legally!. As I was building for that spoken of hill, err in my case, mountain climbing ability. Not for speed.
Illegal in ny.=====sucks
Check out the thread link, there in the better option to driving your motor bicycle build legally ~ It's past time to act. No matter where you live!

There is a road out for the entire country of our hobby. But when you see the specifics of those commericial operations envolved, it does go beyond just a hobby. Economy the way it is, another step above yet! Conservation, another wrung in the ladder yet! Check out the posted thread, then you'll need to decide rather this hobby is worth it, after being here since the late 1800's. I believe it is, I believe it's more than a hobby and as Wayne-Z said, it's time to get Pro-Active!
.flg.

Last edited: