First Build

GoldenMotor.com

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
Scored a bike this weekend! She's an '81 Huffy "Good Vibrations." Decided I wanted to get a solid American-built bike, glad I found one. I already changed the handlebars around, but there's plenty of work and prep to be done before I slap a motor on it. I'd like to paint her black, get a Worksman rear wheel (and maybe a front?), new seat/lay it back, new rear rack, fenders, new pedals, new stem, and brakes before I purchase the motor. I'll be adding updates over the next couple of months! Excited to get underway!

I'm also thinking about modifying the pedals/adding stationary foot pegs. If I'm going to be laying forward, I'd like to put my feet somewhere other than the pedals :)

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
You could add foot pegs as rear sets but you need to leave the pedals if you want a motorized bicycle or you will need to register it as a scooter.

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
Alright, been a long time coming, but the bike is slowly coming together. Engine and everything I ordered from SBP should be here tomorrow (Monday). I've primered everything and should have the bike re-assembled and ready for mounting tomorrow (Monday):

The set up:

Re-painting some of the springer fork I got from Pirate Cycles:

First top coat:

I should get the paint finished tomorrow, decide whether or not I want to wrap the exhaust, and hopefully order the rest of the parts that I need (sprocket adapter/36T sprocket, billet intake, 415 chain, tachometer). I'll need to get some bike tubes as well and a speedometer. If I have time, I'm going to replace the hardware on the engine, grease everything up real well and fab a chain tensioner.

Updates later!

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
Looking good so far. Gonna be sweet. I tried a 36 sprocket from a 44 and didnt like the power trade off difference. I put on a 41 and i like it alot better,best of both worlds . Great top end and good take off power.

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
Well, didn't get to order parts today, and my motor is scheduled to ship on Thursday. Bummer. SBP parts showed up today. . . everything is sick (no pun intended :x)! The only con: the paint on the Expansion Chamber is pretty sloppy, but I'm planning on using exhaust wrap anyway for more of an old school look. I'm anxious to assemble my bike with all my new parts, but I definitely need to let the paint cure for at least 24 hours. I re-assembled my springer fork and gave the paint job a couple of booboos, but no biggie. Here's how they turned out:

The black used to be glossy:

And here's how the handlebars turned out (nevermind the black zip-ties. . . I'm going to replace them with stainless steel straps once I buy my exhaust wrap):

The handlebars far exceed how I expected them to turn out. If the rest of the bike turns out half as well, I'll be happy (^)

Should have everything re-assembled on Wednesday and ready for the motor!

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
Thanks Halfevil333 and insomniacshotrods :)

Got the bike reassembled today. Finishing touches, I think, are going to be the laid back seat post from Pirate Cycles and the new stem I have coming in the mail. Got my armored jacket today in the mail. Motor comes tomorrow. Just need a helmet and my license! I just couldn't wait. I had to take it out for a ride. Anywho, Pics below are the bike pre-motor.