Building a DIY Cushman Style Scooter

GoldenMotor.com

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
I have started building a DIY Cushman style scooter. It is going to use a Craftsman 42cc weedeater engine for power using a jackshaft to gear the little motor down. I will be posting pictures as I build it. Is anybody old enough to remember the cushman. There was one with a box like shell and the Eagle which looked more like a motorcycle style. I am going to make one with the box like shell over the motor.

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Hi Jim,
I looked at your site and some pictures. The style I am building I guess is called the step-through model.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Sorry man, I am not Jim. I am soooo sorry if I let you on to a wrong impression! :oops:
I just left a link for those who are not familiar with what you are inspired to build.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
When I was a kid, my uncle had a Cushman Eagle that wasn't running and was in rough shape. I've thought about getting one many times.

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Here is a picture of the type of cushman that I am modeling after. At first I was going to try to build a Vespa lookalike but it has too many curves for my construction skills.

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
My brother and his friend had a pair when they were about 16 back in the mid 60's. They bought them at a yard sale as literal basket cases and my dad put them together and got 'em running again. One had bad wear on the crank from the seals, dad took it to the old time machine shop across the street from where he worked and the old guys there charged him $5 to weld and re-machine the crank.

Ok, made me get up and search through the DVDs to find the disk my other brother made of all the old family slides to get the picture. Dig the home made banana seats! laff

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My brother and his friend had a pair when they were about 16 back in the mid 60's. They bought them at a yard sale as literal basket cases and my dad put them together and got 'em running again. One had bad wear on the crank from the seals, dad took it to the old time machine shop across the street from where he worked and the old guys there charged him $5 to weld and re-machine the crank.

Ok, made me get up and search through the DVDs to find the disk my other brother made of all the old family slides to get the picture. Dig the home made banana seats! laff

Kevlarr, I think the bikes in the photo you posted are Mustangs....let me know if I am wrong. Those were bad a** bikes in their day, with a kick start single, a "real" transmission ect.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Kevlarr, I think the bikes in the photo you posted are Mustangs....let me know if I am wrong. Those were bad a** bikes in their day, with a kick start single, a "real" transmission ect.
That's what I was thinking too. My uncle restored a couple of Mustangs about 15 years ago then sold them. They sound like a single cylinder Harley.
I wanted one sooo bad but they are just too small for me.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
How about a three-wheeler? My brother Jim (Fossil on this forum) has this 1943 Cushman Military Police scooter, one of only eight built. All eight were prototypes, and the model was rejected by the War Dept (probably because it was so unstable). This is one of two still known to exist.

Attachments

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Here is latest on the build. The first picture shows the frame now bent and welded. Here we are setting the angle of the head tube. The 2nd one shows the head tube in place and now we are seeing how much the fork needs to be extended. The 3rd shows the engine and jackshaft that I am going to use on the scooter. It is shown here on "the mule". My test bike that I use to try out new designs.

Attachments

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
And some more pictures. I completed the motor and running gear and needed a body. I decided to go with wood for soundproofing and light weight. I first sealed the body off so you coululdn't see inside at all. After testing the engine got too hot so I opened it up and put louvers on it. It runs better. After all this I am not happy with the engine. It is hard to start and has a hard time idling. I think I will rework it with a different engine.

Attachments

mudbugone

Aug 12, 2010
Louisiana
That's a pretty good replica of the old Cushman scooters. I had several as a kid (think we bought & sold them for around $10-25 dollars)

They had 5-8 HP side shaft engines with a centrifugal clutch similar to a go-cart . The kick starter was usually broken and we wedged clothes pins into the clutch to be able to push start them. Which was cool most of the time ....unless the pins DID NOT fly out of the clutch like we hoped they would. At that point you had no control of the power any longer.bf. You had to shut it off or ride it wide open ..... Similar to Texas Downhill when snow skiing..LOL

I have plans somewhere for a scooter that resembles the old Cushmans with an enclosed body. Found them-- http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/Super-Scooter.pdf

We always called the Cushmans "Highlanders" though in most articles about them I seldom see any pictures of the basic scooters we rode. They were so simple they were disgusting... I've often thought of replicating one.

This might interest you.. www.nottacushman.com

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn

Those two bikes are Mustangs. Great bikes

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
How about a three-wheeler? My brother Jim (Fossil on this forum) has this 1943 Cushman Military Police scooter, one of only eight built. All eight were prototypes, and the model was rejected by the War Dept (probably because it was so unstable). This is one of two still known to exist.
thats so cool (^) and i never knew you two were brothers! thats awesome!

Sam