Best 4 stroke Frame mount kit with a GOOD GEARBOX

GoldenMotor.com

kermit05

Feb 3, 2009
Canada
After pondering and searching This forum... Other forums, And all over.... Basically the best 4 stroke in frame kit i can come up with, Is this one 50cc Complete Gas Powered Engine Kit (Honda) - $499.99 But, After doing some more research, I have also found that the stage three whopper gearbox has issues such as it not engaging and running severely hot also needing to be packed with excessive grease to work properly etc… And the hoot gear box is simply garbage… So, Is there any of you out there who have a couple thousand miles, And have an idea on which very reliable gearbox is out there? I'm trying to stay under the 500$ mark, and get a 99% reliable.. quiet 4 stroke to ride thousands of miles with, Is this reality with a 4 stroke and gearbox, Or am I going to need to buy a GEBE Kit? Thanks! dance1

kermit05

Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Is that a Huasheng or a honda GX 50? I'm debating if the GX 50 is really worth the extra 150 Dollars.. Then again.. if the extra 150$ Get's me another 1500 miles.. it'd be worth it. Lol!

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
as I said in chat...it's a HS and I beat the carp out of it, and it just keeps letting me ! :)
I have done nothing to it but change the oil (every 100m for 1st 500, then every 250)

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Is it possible to build a bike for under $500 with this EZ setup? How much does it actually cost to outfit a bike? If this is the $650 deal then adding a couple hundred for bike etc. get real close to a grand.

Are they available? The link talks about dealers and prototypes but no prices.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Guys, the 4-stroke kits are not a grand as suggested. EZ Motorbike kits have an MSRP of 650.00 much the same price range as the other 4-stroke kits that have American parts, and an American company backing up the product.

Most of us do not seem to add in the price of the bicycle, maybe that is because so many bicycle can be had for free, or are just sitting around in Garages and back yards?

I know a little about the Hoot Kit (bought and built one a long time ago), and the Grube Green Machine (1st Generation 4-stroke that I sold), and from what I saw and built myself, the only thing that you need, besides a good donor bicycle of some kind, is 8oz of engine oil, and a half a gallon of regular gas.

So, I'm thinking that the 4-stroke bike kits I know about cost equals price of kit (plus shipping) a buck or so for oil, and a buck or two for regular gasoline?

The 4-stroke motorbikes are a blast to ride, and mine actually require less maintenance than my old 2-strokes did, with the riding conditions being the same. The freedom of buying gas at the station pumped right into the tank is a joy also.

I ride Whizzers, a Honda/EZ bike, and a couple of HauSheng EZ Bikes, and enjoy the whole experience.

Mike

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
they have been available since April
(although there are no dealers in NY, there are 3 dealers in PA, where they are fully legal to ride)
I could be mistaken, but, I think they are not in NYC ?

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
MSRP of 650.00 much the same price range as the other 4-stroke kits that have American parts
I don't think there is ANY bike motor kit that has american parts.

Personally I would love to have a 4 stroke for mileage and, as you mention, oil mixing which gets old. It might be prudent to wait for feedback from someone who does not sell them though. You are certainly right about the fun part.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
they have been available since April
(although there are no dealers in NY, there are 3 dealers in PA, where they are fully legal to ride)
I could be mistaken, but, I think they are not in NYC ?
It's unfortunate the website does not make this clear.

I suspect when details are known these bikes are technically being ridden illegally in nearly EVERY state. This does not seem to matter much unless you run into a cop with quota problems or is simply having a bad day. :)

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
are you here just to stir the pot or do you have anything constructive to input ???

do some research and you will see, yes, there are kits with american made parts
engines no, but kit components yes !!! :)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Im not sure I understand, why is this auto gearbox superior? Is it just an automatic clutch with gearing inside to change the gear ratio? Can you shift it? Why is this better than just the simple centrifugal clutches? Does it last longer?.......I didnt see a link to it.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Im not sure I understand, why is this auto gearbox superior? Is it just an automatic clutch with gearing inside to change the gear ratio? Can you shift it? Why is this better than just the simple centrifugal clutches? Does it last longer?.......I didnt see a link to it.
PLEASE! Are you trying to stir the pot???? :)

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
here's the straight answer: azbill has HS 4-stroke kits for sale that have excellent, redesigned gearboxes made with american components from motorbikemike. the gearboxes are quiet and sturdy.

EDIT: spehleeng

Last edited:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The EZ Motorbike Kit is currently available with what thy call their "Silent Drive" Primary Reduction Box.
This drive is what would be termed a tensioned V-Belt system very similar to what can be found on alot of gas powered garden tools ( edgers, reel type lawnmowers, etc.) This drive has manually operated cable that tensions and detensions the v-belt. There is no centrifugal clutch in the Silent Drive. The new automatic drive incorporates a centrifugal clutch, doing away with the need for the manual cable to control belt tension. The other unique thing about the new automatic is where the clutch is located in the drive system. The normal place to mount the clutch is on the output shaft of the motor, on the EZ Q-Matic it is located on the output shaft of the primary reduction drive. Why is this better or desirable? The Honda GXH50 and its various clones (HuSeng and Titan) are unique in the world of 4-stroke motors in that they have a Max RPM of 7600rpm - 7800rpm and idle at 2000rpm. Most all of the centrifugal clutches readily available are optimized for motors that idle around 1000rpm and have a max rpm of 3600 rpm. If you use one of these clutches on the Honda GXH50 the clutch is engaged as soon as the motor fires, not a good thing. By putting the clutch on the output shaft of the primary reduction drive it is no longer turning at the 2000 rpm of the motor Its turning at the reduced rpm of the primary reduction drive, essentially you can use a normal clutch instead of a special one that has springs that set the engagement out around 2800rpm. The other big plus with the EZ Q-Matic is they use a Max-Torque built clutch. These clutches are quite a bit larger than the noemal 76mm/78mm clutch used on the Chinese kits. The Max-Torque clutch has a diameter om 4 & 1/8th in. and the shoes are wider as well. These clutches hook up better and last longer.

ocscully

popcornsutton

Aug 9, 2009
NY
are you here just to stir the pot or do you have anything constructive to input ???

do some research and you will see, yes, there are kits with american made parts
engines no, but kit components yes !!! :)
Bill, I know you're regarded as a colorful character around here and you're just loved to death by all, and maybe you were having a bad day or something, but I found your replies to people a bit rude. You jump one guy saying AS I SAID IN CHAT. Well, maybe he wasn't IN chat. Or maybe he was in chat and you guys were on a marathon LOL LOL session. You jump another person about stirring the pot when he was just asking legitimate questions. If you were going to spend $650+, would you not ask questions? Especially since you have no real site to address them and rely on forum posts? You direct people to the EZM site and just say that the gearboxes have been available since April and give no other useful info. The EZM site never gets updated and it still says this miracle gearbox is a prototype and production estimates are being taken. The site itself is a total mess but does have a lot of exclamation points. You and motorbikemike get on the forum and say how much you love your bikes but it seems you couldn't sell water in the Sahara. Do you guys do all your selling by forum posts? You must since your site is pathetic and anyone can see that you don't take how you market or present your product to people seriously at all. You put a big cover on the gearbox so people can't even see what it's about. Maybe you think people will steal your idea, but if I was in the market for one, I'd just want to know how it worked so I could decide for MYSELF if it was a good gearbox for me since I'm already familiar with the gearboxes that DON'T work. EZM appears very unorganized, so you all would do well to try to get things together a bit and give some useful info other than I LOVE MY BIKE. Spunout had to finally jump in and give a straight answer and he's not even an EZM dealer! And $650 is a ridiculously high price, so good luck with your future sales. Bill, you remind me a lot of that "other" forum where augiedog and company used to (maybe still do) insult almost every new user that came along and were so anally retentive about every post fitting perfectly into a pre-selected category that I'll bet the admins had to take Prozac just to get through a day.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Bill, I know you're regarded as a colorful character around here and you're just loved to death by all, and maybe you were having a bad day or something, but I found your replies to people a bit rude. You jump one guy saying AS I SAID IN CHAT. Well, maybe he wasn't IN chat. Or maybe he was in chat and you guys were on a marathon LOL LOL session. You jump another person about stirring the pot when he was just asking legitimate questions. If you were going to spend $650+, would you not ask questions? Especially since you have no real site to address them and rely on forum posts? You direct people to the EZM site and just say that the gearboxes have been available since April and give no other useful info. The EZM site never gets updated and it still says this miracle gearbox is a prototype and production estimates are being taken. The site itself is a total mess but does have a lot of exclamation points. You and motorbikemike get on the forum and say how much you love your bikes but it seems you couldn't sell water in the Sahara. Do you guys do all your selling by forum posts? You must since your site is pathetic and anyone can see that you don't take how you market or present your product to people seriously at all. You put a big cover on the gearbox so people can't even see what it's about. Maybe you think people will steal your idea, but if I was in the market for one, I'd just want to know how it worked so I could decide for MYSELF if it was a good gearbox for me since I'm already familiar with the gearboxes that DON'T work. EZM appears very unorganized, so you all would do well to try to get things together a bit and give some useful info other than I LOVE MY BIKE. Spunout had to finally jump in and give a straight answer and he's not even an EZM dealer! And $650 is a ridiculously high price, so good luck with your future sales. Bill, you remind me a lot of that "other" forum where augiedog and company used to (maybe still do) insult almost every new user that came along and were so anally retentive about every post fitting perfectly into a pre-selected category that I'll bet the admins had to take Prozac just to get through a day.

Uh Oh.... (covers ears with hands)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Kermit cheapest isnt always the best buy. If a kit has american hardware and every thing you need then maybe a few more $ will save you from spending $ later and save you some bruises.