How do I make a good carby gasket?

GoldenMotor.com

skuzzy

Jul 19, 2009
Australia
Hello,

I have been looking everywhere to get a carby bowel gasket, mine is stuffed, so I want to make one, but am unsure what kind of gasket material they used for the carby. I know I can get some gasket sheets from the auto spares, I am wondering if anyone had any luck with any materials that works well.. I can't believe I can't fine these gaskets on the internet anywhere. in Australia....

r.ly.

cheers

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Skuzzy,
Any thin gasket material that is compatable with gasoline will work. The carb gasket is a little tricky to cut out but an Exacto (hobby) knife will help. I like the #11 blade for small intricate work. Good luck.
Tom

skuzzy

Jul 19, 2009
Australia
Thanks 2door, I have heaps of #11 blades, will go to the auto spares today.

Do you know about any good sealants to use on gaskets like this one, someone said GasKit, might be useful. I know silicone is a bad choice.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks 2door, I have heaps of #11 blades, will go to the auto spares today.

Do you know about any good sealants to use on gaskets like this one, someone said GasKit, might be useful. I know silicone is a bad choice.
Skuzzy,
Permatex makes a very good silicone based gasket sealant. 'Permatex Black' is what many of us use for the intake manifold and carb to intake connection. I smear the product sparingly inside the carb to fill the slots where it clamps to the intake. Don't use too much, just enough to make a good seal. Also use it on both sides of the intake manifold gasket. You shouldn't have to worry about air leaks in this area with this method. You won't need a sealant on the carb bowl gasket as long as it is cut accurately.
Tom