Need help, lost a lot of top end power!

GoldenMotor.com

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
There are a few things that I think may have caused it but im unsure.

Its kinda cold in Canada now and its snowy, I refuelled my bike outside when it was lightly snowing and maybe 3-6 snowflakes got into the tank when i was fueling it, could a few drops of water cause this? Should I dump out the gas?

The second thing is that I've been riding in the snow the past 2 rides and maybe there's a chance I got water somewhere it shouldnt be.

Any ideas why my engine won't go into the high rpms anymore? I can even WOT with clutch disengaged and it doesn't feel like it wants to throw a rod anymore, it just wont go as high into the rpms as it used to!

With that said, the engine runs perfectly from low-mid range rpms.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Also I have a CNS carb with the blue air filter, Last time I checked I got snow on the outside and it was kinda soaked in gas/oil...

Could that be the cause of it?

surreybrad

Jun 8, 2013
surrey bc, canada
What do you mean when you say it won't go into the high RPMs? Does it just bog out or is it like your running out of throttle? I'm in Canada too and it's pretty cold at night but a few snowflakes aren't going to be a problem. I drive in the pouring rain of BC winter where the entire engine is pounded with cold water and it's not an issue as long as I keep the electrical sealed.Do you have an old or extra NT carb you can slap on just to see if it"s the CNS? They don't come with any Canadian sold kits so you must have an NT. I always go through an elimination process and 99% of the time find the culprit part. I have a dozen extra carbs and other parts I could send you a kit if you want. I'm in Surrey, BC.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'd first drain the carb in case there's water in the bottom of the bowl, then wash the air filter and see if that helps.

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
What do you mean when you say it won't go into the high RPMs? Does it just bog out or is it like your running out of throttle? I'm in Canada too and it's pretty cold at night but a few snowflakes aren't going to be a problem. I drive in the pouring rain of BC winter where the entire engine is pounded with cold water and it's not an issue as long as I keep the electrical sealed.Do you have an old or extra NT carb you can slap on just to see if it"s the CNS? They don't come with any Canadian sold kits so you must have an NT. I always go through an elimination process and 99% of the time find the culprit part. I have a dozen extra carbs and other parts I could send you a kit if you want. I'm in Surrey, BC.
I have an NT carb but I'm too lazy to swap it out, that will be my last resort.
I think it could be maybe a loose spark plug? I'll try to clean out the air filter that seems like the biggest issue.

It doesnt bog, it just doesn't want to hit HIGH ass rpms. Its almost like the throttle assembly isn't opening all the way, thats how I can describe it best, however I don't think thats the issue with it.

Maybe I'll run it without the air filter and see what happens.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
just a thought, in that cold weather are you running it long enough to warm it up?

it may take 8 or 10 miles to get that heavy crankshaft warm, and it is part of the intake passage

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
**** YEAH I FIXED IT BOYS! Its like -4C/25F outside and it runs like a champ.

I cleaned my air filter and turns out its just a fouled plug. Now when I WOT it it vibrates so hard that it feels like its gonna blow up, just how I like it!

My old plug was all charred and black, so I'm gonna lean out my gas next refuel., I was doing a 32:1 ratio ever since break in, so maybe I'll try 64:1 now.

If I were to buy a good NGK plug, what model should I get? Also what kinda boot and wire should I get too?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you might try leaning out the carb settings before reducing oil

I use NGK LZFH zero resistance boots & good solid core wire