bike wont start! HELP!! Newbie

GoldenMotor.com

DevonnPeters

Nov 3, 2013
Wisconsin,USA
So for the last week my bike has ran flawlessly, until today it wouldn't start, i pedal it hear the piston moving and feel it slowing my bike but there is no ignition, occasional pop but that's all. i drained my carb to make sure it wasn't dirty gas sitting in the bottom of my float bowl. Also i rode in pretty heavy rain yesterday, not sure if that could have made the problem :-||

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Riding in the rain = wet coil failure.
Unless you sealed the sidecover, the rain probably shorted your mag coil.
Swap the coil to get going again.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
FIRST, read here on the board after doing a 'won't start' search - many possibilities, many answers - did you check for spark? are cases full of fuel?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
so just buy a new magneto and i should be set?
THANKS!!:D
Remove the left side cover and look for signs of moisture. We always suggest sealing the magneto by squirting some sealant around where the ignition wires exit the case and making sure there is a gasket on the cover. Magnetos don't like moisture. You could try drying yours with a heat gun or a hair drier but if it got really wet there could have been some arcing in the coil that damaged it. While you're checking make sure the splices in the blue and black wires are making good electrical contact.

It's always a good idea to have a spare mag and CDI around...just in case.
Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Tom

DevonnPeters

Nov 3, 2013
Wisconsin,USA
i did not check for spark, however the brass clip inside the sparkplug boot was connected to my spark plug when i pulled the boot off, not sure is that could have caused my issue or not

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i did not check for spark, however the brass clip inside the sparkplug boot was connected to my spark plug when i pulled the boot off, not sure is that could have caused my issue or not
The kit supplied spark plug boot is by far the weakest link in the chain. I preach this almost daily, that the plastic thing should be tossed in the trash and replaced with a good automotive quailty spark plug boot and a plug with the top cap installed.
The kit boot relys on the threads at the top of the plug and a silly little brass spring thing to make electrical contact and that, to me, is ludicrous.
Any auto parts store will have plug boots, both straight and angled.

Tom

DevonnPeters

Nov 3, 2013
Wisconsin,USA
The kit supplied spark plug boot is by far the weakest link in the chain. I preach this almost daily, that the plastic thing should be tossed in the trash and replaced with a good automotive quailty spark plug boot and a plug with the top cap installed.
The kit boot relys on the threads at the top of the plug and a silly little brass spring thing to make electrical contact and that, to me, is ludicrous.
Any auto parts store will have plug boots, both straight and angled.

Tom
Thanks, quick queston sorry to keep bothering you, how do i change my boot/wire? will i need to solder and all that?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, quick queston sorry to keep bothering you, how do i change my boot/wire? will i need to solder and all that?
Later kits have been gluing the plug wire into the CDI which makes replacing it a challenge. If the wire is long enough for your purposes, leave it alone and just install the new plug boot by crimping the metal contact onto the wire making sure you have a good electrical connection to the core, or conductor inside the wire. I do solder my plug boot connectors but everyone doesn't.

Kep in mind that the plug wire that came with your kit has a metallic conductor and most auto parts stores today will only have resistance wire which does not have a metal core. You'll need to assure a good electrical connection if you use resistance wire.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
OTOH, I've found a real NGK cap that looks & works exactly like the chinese copy and I've never seen one of these fail (little spring works well)

in a pinch, one can just strip back the insulation of the spark wire & wrap it around the top of the spark plug, then hold it there with a nut - works fine, but don't touch it while bike is running : )