Carb Resurrection

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
So I have a Dax RT carb on an old build I found when I was moving, two moves back haha...

Anyway, I know this carb spent about a year outdoors, is it still salvageable? if so, what steps should I take to insure it works? I would expect I'd need to clean it, and possibly replace a few things, but not sure if that's all there is to it. I also found a small packet of various RT jets at the bottom of my old toolbox.

Moving is fun .shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I would suggest just a cleaning. There really isn't much to go bad, even if neglected for a while. The bowl gasket might be dry and leak but that's about it. If your gasoline contains alcohol look for corrosion but other than that you should be good to go.

I'd be more concerned with the fuel tank. There's where you'll find rust that needs to be removed before running the engine. An in-line fuel filter would also be a good idea between the tank and the carburetor. Also check over the rest of the bike. A year outdoors can take its toll on a bicycle.
Good luck.

Tom

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Thanks for the reply Tom! Awesome I am very happy to hear only a little cleaning is needed to use the old carb. I work with large lasers so I should be able to cut out an easy gasket should a new one be necessary. Any recommendations for gasket material for that spot?

Thanks for the tip about the tank. Honestly most of the bike looks worse for wear so I'll probably run with your suggestion and just toss that tank. I'll take a picture tomorrow but all I've salvaged for my new build from it so far has been a master link and some steel strapping. As it spent so at least a year outdoors I know it's been rained on, there was no overhang or garage at that location. I'm now wondering if I could salvage more, anything that zaps would need replacement, but past the carb I figured most of it would be pretty unusable. The expansion chamber shouldn't be bad, but an engine bared to the elements seems like it would be toast, huh?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As long as the spark plug was in and rain didn't get through the air filter and carb the engine should be relatively dry inside. Biggest concern would be the magneto. They don't get along well with moisture. I'd remove the left side cover and check for any sign of water around the mag. They're cheap so a new coil won't be a major purchase.
Gasket material can be bought at any auto parts store. That gasket is pretty thin stuff so tell the parts man what you're making and they should be able to offer something sufficient.

Good luck and let us know how the project goes.

Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have resurrected motorcycles that have spent decades leaning against a backyard fence.
You would be very surprised at what an engine can endure.
As Tom stated, so long as the spark plug was installed tight, water did not get in through the carburetor and the magneto stayed dry, the engine should be fine.
The engine can look all crusty and rusty, the aluminum white with corrosion, just nasty on the outside, yet still run just fine for years after a little TLC.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
**** yeah! These replies made my day I am going to try to resurrect the whole engine now. I'll just replace the magneto and spark plug to be sure, those parts are only $10 and $8 respectively anyway.

I had my first crash today so I will have to hold off on some stuff til my hand heals a bit, but hopefully I can get some work in on that old build this weekend. The old engine was just past break-in and was a daily commuter before it got left outside so my hopes are high for it. I will keep the thread updated with my progress (and probably more questions)