Messing around with photo apps

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I am no photographer that's for sure nor am I a Photoshop artist. That said, I have been having some fun with my camera phone and the apps I snagged when they were free. I'll take a few pictures, select one I like, crop it and then run it through five or six different photo processing apps to get the look I want. Here's a couple of my Felt in the fall sun.

And that's me....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Harold, you look like Richard Dryfus. And that's not a bad thing; he's one of my favorite actors.

If you find playing with photos interesting and fun I highly suggest you bite the bullet and get into PhotoShop. I've been using it, work and for pleasure for close to 20 years. It is amazing and you can do most anything your imagination will allow.
Nice work with the phone. Just think what you could do with a computer and Adobe's PhotoShop.

Tom

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Tom. Dreyfus, eh? I'm OK with that as long as we're talking "Jaws" and showing scars Dreyfus and not "Close Encounters" mashed potatoes nuts Dreyfus! Actually really liked that movie too.

PhotoShop sounds like fun although I sit at a CAD station all day building models and running lighting simulations so the free and easy and lazy route on the iPad is a nice way to relax. If you have examples of your work especially if you've done something with your bike please post it. I'm very interested.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Harold,
Here's a little project that has been floating around the forum for years.
I took my wife's Nishiki mountain bike and the engine from a drag race car that I was a partner in and put the two together. And another one with just some fancy filter work.

I do photo restorations for friends and family. I like to take very old, faded or damaged photos and restore them. I used to compete in contest on a website devoted to PhotoShop enthusiasts. Lots of fun. They would give you a photo and you had to make something from it. Like I said, you're only limited by your imagination.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I recall the blown Nishiki. Nice work. I'm looking forward to checking out the second image on my CAD monitor instead of my portable. Very cool and much more powerful tool than an app especially in the hands of an experienced user.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
harold
shame on you
not an artist -- you are a pro
great work
keep a steady stream of photos you have manipulated for all of us to enjoy

even your models with lighting schemes?????

thanks

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks buba. The lighting simulations might not translate very well but I'll look for something interesting. These are two photos that I've posted before in anther thread but they weren't manipulated there. Fun thing in these is the sun wasn't out (gray, cloudy days).

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ohhh, I like that bottom one. Did you increase the saturation a lot? Looks like you also added some grain (noise). That's a cool pix.

Tom

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Tom. I turned on the "enhanced" option in the original photo, added a few lighting features in an app, then tweaked a preset filter as a start in another app. From there I increased the saturation and contrast, decreased the brightness and added the grain in yet another app. A couple of my favorite apps aren't working with the new operating system so when those get updated I'll have a few more tools to work with. Like I mentioned though they were free so no complaints!

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
That's two Dreyfuss references so I thought I should dig out an old pair of wire rim glasses to complete the look!

Another new app. I had considered painting the bike yellow and now I have an idea how that would have looked.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well if we're going to do self portraits, here's one. It started out as a screen shot taken from a Bob Segar video. I made some changes and came up with something that my wife says looks just like me. I didn't save the original but I'll tell you that the rider had hair. :)

Tom

Attachments