Need motor help

GoldenMotor.com

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
BTR lovers, The newbie from the mountains of East Kentucky needs help deciding on a motor for my BTR tribute bike. I have all the parts on the way to start my build with the exception of the motor. I want an old motor, preferably made in the U.S. and want the round cylinder look. Probably 4 stroke preferred? You guys pitch in and help me out here. Before I drop $400 I would like to find the right one. All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will start a new thread when I start the build.

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
BTR lovers, The newbie from the mountains of East Kentucky needs help deciding on a motor for my BTR tribute bike. I have all the parts on the way to start my build with the exception of the motor. I want an old motor, preferably made in the U.S. and want the round cylinder look. Probably 4 stroke preferred? You guys pitch in and help me out here. Before I drop $400 I would like to find the right one. All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will start a new thread when I start the build.
Hey John, I think i found something of intrest if you are motivated to restore a 1947 4 stroke engine. Now I'm not to savy with computers but please try this, Go to E-Bay & type in " Vintage Antique Clinton 777A gas engine" Look at this carefully. I see some great old parts would make a great re-store for a boardtracker type project. hope this gets you pumped for a type of engine your looking for. later for now Dirtydnut

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Anyone know where Dan Taylor gets those killer smooth flywheels,the top finned piece and the brass start chord pully I saw on some of his builds. I believe those motors are a GC160 or clone.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Dan's # is (661) 341-0192 don't know what he has on hand? but he will make whatever you want, give him a call

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Hey John, I think i found something of intrest if you are motivated to restore a 1947 4 stroke engine. Now I'm not to savy with computers but please try this, Go to E-Bay & type in " Vintage Antique Clinton 777A gas engine" Look at this carefully. I see some great old parts would make a great re-store for a boardtracker type project. hope this gets you pumped for a type of engine your looking for. later for now Dirtydnut
This one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ant...032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cfb205a0

-Kirk

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
J.W.
If you are going to get the Honda GC 160 QHA for your build ? Dan has one dress up kit left, he's sold two this week and can't gaurentee that the last set will stay on the shelf very long.

Last edited:

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Truckd,
Yeah, I'm going with the 160. Can you get me a price and what all is included in his dress up kit. I can call him tomorrow if him tonight if he doesn't mind. IF you see him tell him to hold it till I talk to him. John

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Steel plates & hardware
Pulley-Brass
Velocity stack and intake- brass
$325.00 free shipping
Call Dan this afternoon or this evening before 8:00 pm(661) 341-0192
Ps. Dan can get the jack shaft blocks between $125.oo & $150.oo kinda of costly but desireable for good engine placement.
Remember you want the Honda GC 160 Qha1 with remote throttle NOT fixed/set throttle, same engine same price just remote throttle

Last edited:

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Truckd, Thanks for hooking me up with Dan. This will be my first BTR build and I am planning on doing it right the first time. The devil is in the details and I want it right and Dan is the man. This bike will look good rolling out the back of my 36 Ford Panel truck.

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Where is the cheapest place to get the GC 160 with the remote throttle? I live in a small town in SE Kentucky and we have a Lowes and Walmart but that's about it. There is a Harbour Freight in Lexington and I might be up that way this week.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Small engine whare house, but Dan has the hook up for that too! a little cheaper since Dan has a GOOD! business Relationship with them as well, but you can also go to google and type in Honda GC 160cc QHA1 with remote throttle engines. They usually run about $ 220.oo more or less
Did you call him yet ?

www.tewharehouse.com $219.00

Last edited:

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Talked to Dan a few minutes ago and nailed down a dress up kit. Can't wait to get all this stuff in and get started on my first BTR build. I've built several dozen big bikes but this will be my first attempt at a BTR tribute bike and I want it right. Thanks for hooking me up with Dan. We will be doing more business.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Glad you were able to get your stuff and if you have a question in the future concerning your build don't hesitate to give Dan a call, he's a nice guy and has a wealth of knowledge, more than what you could possibly think of when it comes to bikes.
Oh! by the way yer welcome! Glad to help!
Now to pay me back for the hook up you gotta keep us all posted on yer build, start 2 finish lots of pic's we're all Pic Hounds! here (LOL!)