ProMcCown's AMF Beach Cruiser.

GoldenMotor.com

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
I really it like the green, I think it goes good with the color shifting purple. I think your bike looks great, maybe if you plan on running a chain gaurd paint it color shifting purple to tie it all together? I have the same AMF fram I may use for a future build. If I was going to nit pick your bike I would say maybe try to clean up the cables and wiring a little? I know from working on my bike that is easier said than done!

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
I would add a springer to the bike, you'll notice a much smoother ride as it will absorb a ton of road vibration. I had an AMF frame similar to yours on my first build and used a Sunlite springer from Pirate cycles. Also would advise a hub adapter if you can find one to fit the rear wheel. If the bolt gives out on the exhaust and it falls apart see if you can find someone to weld it at the end cap, mine kept coming apart even after using some high temp threadlock. Great build!

Also, I saw that someone mentioned it before but I'll repeat, get yourself some front caliper brakes on there. A local bike shop might have a simple set or even Wally World / Target.
Thanks Darkhawk! I actually read your build thread with the AMF a few times just to see what I could do to my own bike. It is definitely a work in progress but it will certainly get to where I want it to be. Front brake is definitely on the "to get" list.

I really it like the green, I think it goes good with the color shifting purple. I think your bike looks great, maybe if you plan on running a chain gaurd paint it color shifting purple to tie it all together? I have the same AMF fram I may use for a future build. If I was going to nit pick your bike I would say maybe try to clean up the cables and wiring a little? I know from working on my bike that is easier said than done!
Thanks forrestsmith! I've been meaning to get to the cables and wiring. When it comes to working on the bike it just hasn't been a priority but I'll probably get it done this weekend since it needs to be done.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Took the bike on it's first real ride tonight. Put 15 miles on it with no problems what so ever. Not a whole lot of motorized bicycles here so I was turning a lot of heads. Even got a biker wave, wasn't sure if it was ok for me to wave back or not so I didn't. Last thing I want is to wave at a biker and have him/her get mad lol. All in all I was happy with how the bike performed and it got me from A to B and back to A. Can't wait to do it again!

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
I biker that waved to me was pretty young, he was riding a Harley and had a patched vest but I didn't look at the name of the MC. I just thought it was cool to get waved at by a biker. Even though I'm pretty sure motorized bikes aren't considered part of the motorcycle community or maybe we are? I don't know.

It was awesome last night though. When I would come up to a red light I'd just shut the bike down and wait. Green light comes and I would go half way in the intersection and let the clutch out. Wonder what people were saying or thinking lol.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
I biker that waved to me was pretty young, he was riding a Harley and had a patched vest but I didn't look at the name of the MC. I just thought it was cool to get waved at by a biker. Even though I'm pretty sure motorized bikes aren't considered part of the motorcycle community or maybe we are?
If someone thinks themself above a Motorized Bicycle or anyother cycle. They are not a member of any motorcycle community I want to be in. I will be 62 in September, and rode bikes my whole life. I don't care if you are riding a motorcycle, bicycle, or a tricycle. You are a member of my motorcycle community. And I am glad to be part of yours.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Long time no see! I've been away from these forums and my bike for about half a year due to working in Yosemite National Park over the summer. Finally got to pull out the bike today check her out. FILTHY! Need to clean her up and get her back on the road.

Pulled off the Carb and opened it up, float bowl gasket is shot. I need to figure out how to replace that. Other than that, just a clean up, fuel and it'll be ready to go!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
motorized bicycle does have some dust on it however it will shine up real nice! great to have you back with us

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Couple updates on the bike. Got some gasket material and made a gasket for the float bowl.

Also got some mirrors from amazon for pretty cheap. Test fit the left side for now. contemplating putting the other side or not, thoughts?

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
you really, really do not need a chain that big. I argue this because your bike is a very "small" bike. that chain in your case will do nothing but increase vibrations. It may look pretty but I highly suggest a smaller chain , namely a "BMX single speed chain" There are numerous colors and styles to suite your needs. I do not suggest using a "missing link" variety of chain because you cannot simply remove the link to change tires or whatever, you have to remove and replace them because "they are not reusable."

Other than that, I like your build. needs more green paint on the engine. also.... try to do something about that gas tank. With a bike like that you could get away with a tank the size of a 24 oz monster can. I'm just sayin..

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
you really, really do not need a chain that big. I argue this because your bike is a very "small" bike. that chain in your case will do nothing but increase vibrations. It may look pretty but I highly suggest a smaller chain , namely a "BMX single speed chain" There are numerous colors and styles to suite your needs. I do not suggest using a "missing link" variety of chain because you cannot simply remove the link to change tires or whatever, you have to remove and replace them because "they are not reusable."

Other than that, I like your build. needs more green paint on the engine. also.... try to do something about that gas tank. With a bike like that you could get away with a tank the size of a 24 oz monster can. I'm just sayin..
Had no idea I could get a thinner chain. I just went with what has been recommended as a good, higher quality equal to what comes with the kits.

I do want to paint more on the bike.

As for the gas tank I don't have any real plans for it. I like the amount of fuel I can carry now because when I take this bike I usually go for a round trip of 20 or more miles.

My goal for right now is to ride it around for now since I haven't been able to ride it for about 8 months. Then make it as reliable as i can by adding a disk brake and hub adapter. Then I'll be able to splurge and start modifying other things like paint and fabrication.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Been a while since I've updated this, not much has happened.

BUT......the other day I took the bike out for a ride and noticed it felt a little different in the rear. Discovered loose spokes, tried to tighten them but came to find out that 9 spokes had snapped. All the snapped spokes were on the drive sprocket side of course, so I took it off. The rubber is pretty mangled and the remaining spokes were messed up too.

So went down to the bike shop today. Had to special order a new rim since it's the vintage 26 x 1 3/8 size, I asked if I could get a wider rim but the guy that helped me said it wouldn't fit...not sure about that but I ordered a new 26 x 1 3/8 rim.

So now I'm looking to see which sprocket adapter I should get because I don't want to screw up anymore rims plus it's more reliable. I'm assuming the CB110 adapter from Pirate cycles is the one I'm going to have to go with but once I get the wheel I'll confirm on CB size. I don't know much about coaster brakes but i'm assume they are all pretty much the same size?

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
So went down to the bike shop today. Had to special order a new rim since it's the vintage 26 x 1 3/8 size, I asked if I could get a wider rim but the guy that helped me said it wouldn't fit...not sure about that but I ordered a new 26 x 1 3/8 rim.
Just saying this from looking at your pics, I don't have first hand experience with this specific model, but that sounds a little fishy to me. There are tons of pretty slim mtn bike rims out there in the modern clincher style that would let you use regular "decimal" tires rather than the old 1 3/8" spec that are kind of a PITA to find. From what I can see in your pics it looks like you have plenty of extra room there in the frame for a wider rim and tire.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Just saying this from looking at your pics, I don't have first hand experience with this specific model, but that sounds a little fishy to me. There are tons of pretty slim mtn bike rims out there in the modern clincher style that would let you use regular "decimal" tires rather than the old 1 3/8" spec that are kind of a PITA to find. From what I can see in your pics it looks like you have plenty of extra room there in the frame for a wider rim and tire.
Exactly what I was thinking, maybe the guy thought I was talking about a taller size rim rather than a wider rim.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Got the rear wheal today. It has a Histop Coaster brake on it, the wheel itself is by Wheel Master, on the tag it says the hub is a CB CP 110 so I'm fairly certain I need the CB110 sprocket adapter from pirate cycles.