OK. My turn with some things...

GoldenMotor.com

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
Spent some time reading through here as well to get ideas, but will map it out here to keep things together.

Anyway, 1st build as well. Sadly, it's an 80cc BGF (boygofast) on EBay which I didn't check on enough ahead of time :( Although service has been pretty good (clutch handle broke at the screw joint, got a new one for a few bucks shipping, and that's on but also broke on the other side (screw will hold it in place, but at least I got a response so I'll hold off there). Took a bit to mount as I didn't have as much free space as I thought. But was able to get it on and "hooked up" OK for the moment, then will just need to probably mod a bit to further help out...

#1 - No spark on the plug. Even when tested out of its slot. I have the black, blue & white coming off of the engine, black/blue on the coil & the kill switch is black & yellow. "Instructions" indicated to tie the kill switch wires with the blue and match the colors to plug in. Correct in that assumption or should I go black to black and yellow to blue (white's electrical taped/capped off and out of the way..would like to keep that for a light later on) - I would solder them to hold better, then wrap electrical tape since I don't have a heat shrink gun. Also with these lousy cap plugs on the wires, I would think plugging it in as is would be enough to get a connection, or should I throw a little more solder in there to ensure such. In the meantime, I'll take off the kill switch just to see if anything changes tomorrow...(just checking at least if it's connected right)

#2 - Fuel. Previously had some running down the line, and was able to get the prime button to work (flooded it by accident), so at least it looked like fuel was making it's way into the float/carb area. However, I had to re-do the line and now can't get any fuel to flow it looks like (it'll come out from the tank when the line isn't attached to the tank as I tested that, but once on I don't seem to see any coming down, unless it's just trickling that much). Seal too tight somewhere, or do I need to drill for airflow? (I'll double check that more as well - could just be bad lighting, or I'll need to drain the line and try again) - I did use some Teflon tape on the connectors just to keep a (better) seal...

#3 - clutch too far in? I can roll the bike without the handle depressed, although there is some decent resistance. Might have tightened it too much as before it was too loose and got good pedal resistance with the handle depressed...so maybe just halve the balance?

Hopefully it's something simple and not a junked part, since it hasn't been able to even run yet. Not giving up though, since there are plenty of others who got theirs going...and unless I got junk, should be able to do the same with mine...

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
1)Some people have reported that the kill switch was shorted in their kits, so disconnect that and see if you are getting spark.
If you have a VOM, you can take some measurements of the magneto and CDI, there are posts here in this forum on typical resistance values.

2) If your carb bowl is full of fuel, then the needle won't any more fuel in. Kinda like putting your finger on the end of the line, fuel doesn't flow.

3) Get it running first, then you can work on the clutch issue.

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
OK. Kill switch got disconnected & took off the spark plug. Was able to get the engine to turn over without it (puttered a few times then stopped), but no spark on the plug.

Noticed the plug boot connector was loose. Once I unscrewed it, the wires basically looked all torn up and the boot end (not the boot connector itself, but the screw side) was broken partially off as well. May have mangled it a bit more doing such, but also just looks like it never was wrapped well (or at all?) to begin with. (saved pics on that)

Looking to see if I can re-fix this now (I know there's stuff on it), but otherwise next up is getting a new boot connector...elsewhere. One busted/poor part from BGF is one thing. 2 now means I go elsewhere...

Last edited:

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
Well, found the multimeter and got readings on the spark plug, so that's likely out.

Tried just the boot plug/wire itself, seems OK.

Couldn't get anything with the boot plug screwed into the CDI box. Seems to maybe be the culprit. Will have to double-check the magneto to be sure...hmmm...

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass

Attachments

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
Yea I wasn't too happy with that either once I pulled it out. Although I did spill some fuel that leaked down the top & in that front end area, so it's possible some may have seeped in through the gasket & sat there for a while before drying out (which would then make that seal/gasket area piss poor as well...can't win there either way). Again, I threw the multimeter on the wires and got similar-type readings, so no breaks or bad solder joints there that I could discover.

CDI kit (with wire/cap together) I ordered from Piratecycles on here as it's pretty close to me. If they shipped it out Friday, I'll see it later today. If not, definitely on Monday so either way I'll be hooking it all up there and we'll see for sure...but the evidence points there right now.

You wish it could work out of the box...but I guess tweaking is also part of the fun in this setup as well....

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
OK, well CDI box and/or boot cable was the issue. Go figure. More rough feedback on Ebay with a dumbass rebuttal coming I'm sure :rolleyes: Do NOT get a kit from Boygofast....

Anyway that actually got the engine turned over/running with it all hooked up.

Now (and I'm going to read more tonight for ideas), I'm not sure if I'm just not going fast enough yet, or ait coming in, or what have you...

First time I finally got it, I had to keep the throttle open...I had it going briefly, but had to dump it as I knicked the side of the house (would have crashed hard otherwise)...coming in too hot, didn't have the kill switch attached yet (to be sure), went for the brakes and well, they weren't in a good spot to grab...hahahaha. Oh well, no serious damage I can see (couple of dents in the house siding won't help).

Don't think it's serious but did crack the screwcase for the killswitch a bit; throttle cable can still hold and screw in OK.

But I've been playing with the choke & idle screw now and while I can get it to start after pedaling, even with throttle open it won't really kick in and go...just sputters out.

I may have to try it on the hill and really ramp it...first though I'm re-wiring the kill-switch in :D I think at this point it's just tweaking things...

I would think these are going to run (once configured right) even at idling speed, once you get it going for a couple of moments to have it actually "run".

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Well, it's good that you got it kinda running, now you just need to fine tune everything and go riding!

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
Ahh success...took it out for a little spin as it was off & on rain but got everything to run right it looks like. Had to re-fix the throttle too as that jammed; think I got that to run a bit better now as well.

Now just to get a good feel with things when I take it out for a longer ride tomorrow & make the little fine adjustments.
cvlt1

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
Indeed. Still some possible little things, but working through it as time goes. Still aiming at a new magneto replacement possibly and while it stalled out last night, it was either due to a little water getting into things (as it did rain), or I found a bit of an exposed wire on the magento side and taped it up. At the same time, aiming at a possible lean mixture and/or that bunk stock plug. Something I can probably work on more this weekend.

Nonetheless, got it to run again today after cleaning things out a bit and taping up that wire. Heading out soon for a short ride/errands to see if it holds up OK and doesn't do what it did yesterday. Love the forum as it's provided with me every idea & solution so far...(like others, I got this as it's my only mode of transportation for the time being)

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
Knocked out again after a few miles. Aiming now at a mixture and/or plug issue. Plug is definitely black when pulled; after cleaning it off it works fine. So gotta tweak the clip and see what happens :) Also getting a better plug @ Autozone to play with there.

Need a new air intake cover; smashed it somewhat trying to bang the carb in tighter...oops :D but then found the washer seal for such at dax...both on order.

As always I guess, a work in progress...

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
A black plug mean that the mixture is too rich. If its an NT carb then the needle should be on the 2nd position from the top (opposite pointed end).
If its not an NT carb, then I dunno.