clutch keeps sticking

GoldenMotor.com

TNault

Feb 2, 2011
Florida
hey guys i have had this bike up and running for a good 3 months now.. i ride it about 20 miles a day.. anyways my clutch keeps getting stuck so i can move the back tire.. i keep backing the flower nut out and its fixed but after i ride it for a while it sticks again.. I NEED HELP .kick2

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. I deleted your second post because it was a duplicate of this one.
By "sticks", do you mean it stays engaged or disengaged? If it stays engaged it might be your clutch cable stretching and will require tightening.
If it's staying disengaged the clutch actuator mechanism might need to be lubricated. Remove the cover and you'll see a steel pin protruding from the center of the drive sprocket. Behind it is a ball bearing. These parts and the cam inside the cover require grease. Try these things and get back to us.
Since you've moved the flower nut you will need to start from scratch on your clutch adjustments.
Tom

TNault

Feb 2, 2011
Florida
It stays engaged. I should have pre read that post before I sent it. I'm not really mechanically inclined so im learning as I go. So I should grease that ball behind that pin? How should I go about doing that and what kind of grease?And if I grease that ball should I tighten that flower nut back up?
thanks for your help buddy.. Just to be clear the back tire will not spin so i un screwed the flower nut a bit.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If the clutch is slipping, (rear wheel freewheels), tighten the flower nut.
if the clutch is sticking (rear wheel turns only with motor), loosen the flower nut.
Put another way:
If the running motorbike wants to inch forward while the clutch lever is pulled in all the way - adjust the cable if loose and loosen the flower nut if needed.
If the engine rpm surges high under acceleration but bike isn't accelerating, make sure your cable is not too tight and tighten the flower nut if needed.
Move the flower nut only one notch at the time until you get a good feel for it.
When I commuted long distances (50 mile round trip), I dealt with the same clutch issues.