engine broke :(!

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
well I went ahead and ordered a new one, I realize its more than likely in reality identical to the other one but I'm a bit of a sucker so I went ahead and payed $5 more for the motor marked 68.5cc so I guess thats that, I am dissapointed with the expense but it is what it is.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
That sucks Pepper, brutal piston damage, omg. At least the new motor will bolt right on... Don't forget to switch back to your break in mix @24:1(16:1 is for 10w30)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I know you'll pay close attention to your mix from now on. Many of us here have switched over to using Opti-2 which can be purchased at many of the Ace hardware stores now. It is a great oil and mixes at 100-1. No need for a different mix for breaking it in. Whichever oil you use, pay attention to what mix ratio the manufacturer recommends for that particular oil. I have a feeling this motor is going to last you a long time. Good luck.
SB

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
Right now I'm using "quicksilver premium 2 cycle outboard oil" cuz thats what walmart had, thanks for the tip I'll look into the Opti-2, although it seems to be a bit expensive.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Right now I'm using "quicksilver premium 2 cycle outboard oil" cuz thats what walmart had, thanks for the tip I'll look into the Opti-2, although it seems to be a bit expensive.
There's your problem! NEVER let marine oil get close to an air-cooled 2 stroke. It WILL cause your engine to fail... probably in the way that you are describing in this post. Either use regular valvoline 2 stroke oil in a 32:1 mix or go with an air-cooled synthetic oil according to the ratio instructions from the manufacturer.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
the bottle says specifically that it can be used in air cooled 2-cycle engines, its one of those dual purpose oils.

also I thought one of the bearings falling apart was not related to fuel mixture, my piston did not get stuck on its own, needles from a failed bearing worked its way into the cylinder.

Last edited:

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
bottle says its meets all requirements for "air cooled applications specify the use of NMMA TC-WII or TC-W3 or API TC oils in either premix or oil injected 2-cycle applications"

is this wrong?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Why take a chance,don't use that oil, you can use other $3 2-stroke oil available at other places, mix it at 24:1 then 32:1.
My local gas station had valvoline 2 stroke oil for like $4 and
my local hardware store had cheap 2-stroke oil for a lawn mower and that worked too.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
well idk, it even has a picture of a ATV, chainsaw, lawnmower, dirt-bike and a snowmobile on the front, it says in writing that its for air cooled operations also I'm been using it all summer long so I'm a good 97% sure its fine.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
anyone,,,Is there a difference in pre-mix oil and injected oil for 2 strokes,...............,and I think a bearing simply failed if the mix was correct it could fail ,,,IT happens

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Who knows for sure what happened or why. I just think it is wise to use a good quality oil designed specifically for air cooled engines and to pay close attention to getting the mix ratio right. Take care of your engine and your engine will take care of you. At least, that's the theory of how I operate. There are always duds.
SB

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
So sorry to hear of your plight. The QC on our Happy Times engine is loathsome. Since you (me too!) like WalMart, you might look in the auto section for a large syringe device called a 'MixMiser'. My WM has them for around $3.00. Mix ratios are embossed on syringe tube. It's very accurate and convenient. At 3.2 ozs of oil to a gallon of gas you were running a 40:1 ratio. If the engine was broken in and you had a premium quality oil you may have been OK. Personally, I'd hesitate to run less than 32:1 in a HT engine.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Like some of the other members here, I too recommend going with a quality oil. I don't trust Walmart if it involves stuff that isn't disposable lol (your engine isn't disposible). I've used regular Briggs and Straton and then Valvoline oil and both were only for air cooled engines. Just toss that crappy Walmart oil out, buy the $4 Valvoline bottle and mix it correctly with a mix-mizer if you have to.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I actually have a mix-mizer but I prefer a measuring cup I would usually run around 32:1 but my last batch was a little light on oil

So with these synthetic oils what might be recommended other than Opti-2? I do like my fuel to be blue because blue is pretty although I guess thats not a requirement.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I like blue.......................might make the motor run cooler, blue is kool ,lol
laff

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I'm actually dead serious, to be honest if I looked down at my fuel line and seen a different color like lame boring brown it would make me sad. I guess purple or red would be ok maybe other colors as well but brown would disappoint me because that sucks.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
weil, you guys talked me into it, I went and picked up some Opti-2 (also multi purpose oil like most of the synthetics seem to be if not all of them) My Ace dose not carry it but true value dose, so I guess I'll see how that works out. I am hoping I will still have blue tinted fuel as this stuff is blue.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think you'll be happy with the Opti-2. I use it 100-1 from day one. It is a different kind of oil and is not a synthetic, but burns clean and has a fuel stabilizer in it so that your gas does not break down even if it sits in the carb for an extended period of time. Many of the rental equipment places use it exclusively.
SB

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I always use a good quality oil, I buy the good stuff from our local Motorcycle dealership. its Honda 2 stroke racing synthetic oil (blue) all tho its a bit pricey it works for me! I have had used opti-2 and it did fine, something about 100:1 mix that frightens me a little. I only switched to it because of price being cheaper but then reverted back to Honda oil. it smells good for one thing and it matches my bike as well.(lol) as far as marine oil goes, I wouldnt use that stuff, and whoever tells you that you can, well thay can drink it for all I care. I know from experience, a couple customers had brought their bikes to me because their motors were not going full power. upon investigating, one had a crank case bearing freeze up and the other was the needle bearings on the crank were busted like yours! replacement motors were cheaper than rebuilding them. Now I have a little over 5000 miles on mine and it runs as good as the day I bought it!

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Super Klotz 2 stroke oil is good stuff. Been using it for years with my 2 stroke toys. A motocross racer tipped me off to it a long time ago while I was asking why his bike's exhaust smelled weird. I have never blown an engine running it.

:)

Last edited: