Black-n-Blue...

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Went for a 23mile ride down to the beach today...this bike runs like a champ! Cruising at 30-38mph between 6-7200RPM and hit 40mph at 8410RPM but didn't push it as the engine has just under 10 hours on it. Time for the first oil change. This is where I rode to....

dnut

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Scotto,
It sounds like you had a great run. Although my Motorbike build is different than yours, the engine and drive system are the same. I've found that all I do is start my motor, twist the throttle and go. I'm so used to having to tinker with the 2 strokes that it is easy for me to get complacent in the luxury of this new build. I have to remind myself that it is still wise to check the tightness of wheels, bolts, etc. and not to forget that I'm zipping along on a bicycle never intended to house an engine. And it is easy to forget, smooth and trouble free as everything is.
I don't know how you got into this, but I fell for the "in a few hours you can turn your bicycle into a moped for a hundred bucks" promise of good times. And I did have good times, lots of them and for the most part, pretty trouble free. But what a difference another two strokes makes. I would encourage anyone considering a four stroke to give it a go and to do some homework on your drive system. Whatever you choose, get something good and reliable. Spend a little more up front and less down the line. I'm not making a pitch for EZM, but it is the only one I'm familiar with. There are probably other good setups out there. Pick something good if you're looking for something to commute to work with, to take some of the burden off a car or truck. The more safe, reliable and pleasurable it is to ride, the more you'll ride it and the more gas you'll save.
Scotto, I also make 'water' runs with a route through the forest passing a number of fresh water lakes and usually ending up at Bear Head Lake at the State Park, a run of about half your distance. Coming home the destination is water again, Eagles Nest Lake where I call home. In the summer I often ride to Bear Head, ride up to the beach and sit at a picnic table overlooking the sunset to the west. I have a can of Lost Lake beer and some peanuts shared with my dog who rides in the trailer behind the bike. It's a good way to end a day, looking out over water with a nice ride home to look forward to.
Glad your ride was good, Bud. Nice bike...
SB

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is the Black-n-Blue now with it's frame tank complete, new tires, new saddle and a few other goodies...

This new top tube converted tank holds 1/2 gallon of gas.....

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I suppose that I should ask . Was the new tank utilized from drilling a couple holes and threading them or was there more prep work than that ? The whole prodject looks very professional and I want one .

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks guys! Yes it was just drilling two holes, then tapping them along with filling 3 internal weld vent holes, tearing down the whole bike including removal of everything except the original drive train and a couple of days sealing the internal tank (top-tube). Piece of cake........ and really cleans up the look of the bike. Gonna do to my other Ridgedale, "the Black Ale", eventually. I dig fat tube aluminum frames for this reason.

Cheers! dnut

I suppose that I should ask . Was the new tank utilized from drilling a couple holes and threading them or was there more prep work than that ? The whole prodject looks very professional and I want one .

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Thanks for responding . The 3 internal weld vent holes , you tallked about , where are they located on the future gas tank and how did you fill them ? This is fascinating . And sealing the tank , was that with Cream ?

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
There were 2 holes in the seat tube (fore and aft) and a really big one in the head tube. And yes, I sealed the tank with several coats of Kreem.

Thanks for responding . The 3 internal weld vent holes , you tallked about , where are they located on the future gas tank and how did you fill them ? This is fascinating . And sealing the tank , was that with Cream ?