Rubber in fins ?

GoldenMotor.com

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
Yesterday I was warming up the MB and just for grins and giggles I put my hands around the top of the motor to see if I could quiet down the noise, well it sure did. What I was wondering, has anyone put rubber in between the fins to quiet down the rattle?

Q

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
They're cooling fins, so I wouldn't recommend it. The sound could also be coming from the mounts themself, and the vibration was just passing through your arms. Try holding the engine in other places and see if the vibration is coming from other places.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I run cooling fin dampers on all my engines. It doesn't help much but a little. I think dampening the clutch cover does more to eliminate noise but the fin dampers do help.

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Alot of people are doing it and it does get rid of most noises.
But if you live where its hot, it might not be worth it, cause the engine might run hotter than it already does.

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
What you are seeing on mine are actually the stripped ends of the plug wires me make. But we also sell silicone tubing on our site that works as well and actually better since you can cut them exactly how you want. The fin spacing on the head is larger and the plug wire is too small to fit.

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
well I tried some fuel tubing that I had and it seemed to quiet it down a little, need to do a little more experimenting with different materials.

Q