Supply of 2 stroke kits drying up?

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I can't help but notice that several vendors are offering
less or no available kits. Some have jacked up their prices.
Will these cheap fun engines be as extinct as human kindness is?
Or am I just being another dupe falling for a get it while we still got-em
marketing scheme?

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
im sure its all just hype i dont know bought Canada tho im sure if we can get them to the USA then we can probably send them to you all from the states dont fret there is always a way around the system!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Actually it depends on what engine kits they have in stock, they get diffrent engine kit models each shipment. Some are cheap and some are more money.
If you look at gasbike.net some are still $119 and some $199.
Heres a hint, the prices go up in the summer and a lot lower in the winter.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I think they're just going to jack up the prices as much as possible until sales decrease significantly, then find their "safe spot" that's as profitable as possible.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Zoombicycles is Canadian and doesn't seem to be running out of steam...they're selling motors like candy.

James the welder

Mar 24, 2010
Tempe AZ
Actually it depends on what engine kits they have in stock, they get diffrent engine kit models each shipment. Some are cheap and some are more money.
If you look at gasbike.net some are still $119 and some $199.
Heres a hint, the prices go up in the summer and a lot lower in the winter.
Just orderd a RAW kit from gasbike and they were out of stock. So they up graded to a skyhawk same price. hint hint

chopped banana

Mar 17, 2010
north hollywood
i found this on the grubee site,

USA Buyers!! Disclaimer note for year 2010:

As of Feb. 20th 2010, to the best of our knowledge, none of the 2 cycle engine factories in China and including our own SkyHawk and StarFire factories have been able to get their engines EPA certified to the new rating of 40CFR 1051 now required for export to the USA in the year of 2010 and beyond.

This means no 2 cycle bike engine shipments will be able to enter the USA this year unless something changes. However, we are making plans to implement continued testing in China and in a Detroit MI. lab to comply with 1051 and/or 1065 in Q2 of this year in hopes we can qualify and continue our business in the States. The outlook does not look rosy due to communication difficulty with EPA officials in the USA! It may mean that the higher cost 4 cycle engines will take over the bicycle engine power assist conversion business in the US and Canada?
HISTORY: From Jan. 2008 to March 2009 our 2 cycle engines had EPA rating of 40CFR 90 for off road non hand held machines but now it’s been changed to 1051 off road recreational vehicle which is the same class as a snowmobile. Emily Chen at EPA is in charge of the technical aspects of 2 cycle bicycle engine emissions….. e-mail: [email protected]
USA Import Buyers beware as many Chinese Export Companies do not know USA laws and will promise anything to get your money TT wired to China. Then they say Oh sorry bye-bye!

It is also important to know that Canada has also adapted the same EPA laws as the USA. Gas engine shipments there must now also have emission certification.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I'm not sure I understand this completely. How can the US EPA figure out what's really in these boxes getting sent over? I mean, they go from some underground Chinese sweatshop, flown over via Fedex to some guy's garage in America, then get re-packed and sent out over eBay. How could they possibly enforce this law?

andrewg225

Jul 19, 2009
ontairo
i'm from ontairo canada and i got word that the epa and the rcmp banded these engines all togeather i cant even ride mine anymore The china factory is not up to code for ontario canada i guess so i guess i'm just going to find a different way to make use of my engines i ws stoped again riding and thay whee about to fine me and thow me in jail and charge me for operating a a illegl moterized bike , but thay let me go with my bike anouther close call .

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Was just browsing parts at usabikemotors.com and here is was was on their home page:
" Due to the new 2010 EPA restrictions we currently cannot import any two stroke gas engines . We do however have a large stock of 66cc/80cc GT4 engines we were able to get out of China before the end of the year, just before the EPA stopped allowing them to be imported."

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have three sitting in boxes, I may wait until they become rare, then sell them for a small fortune and retire.