My first Build, Picture!

GoldenMotor.com

mrblack98

Oct 30, 2012
north carolina
Well Thanks everyone for all the help, currently up and running, everything on the bike, and the bike itself, came to a sum of 93. Got the engine kit used for 50, practically brand new, and the bike for 20, and the tank for 15.

EDIT: Oh and I have cleaned up the wiring/cables quite a bit. I'll be posting my chain tensioner design as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations, Mr. Black.
You've proven that you don't need to spend a fortune to build a nice bike and have fun. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Have fun, ride safe.

Tom

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Way to go. It just good to see someone do a lot with just a little. I think that will be about the best 90 bucks you will ever spend. Have fun, and let everybody know it.

mrblack98

Oct 30, 2012
north carolina
Congratulations, Mr. Black.
You've proven that you don't need to spend a fortune to build a nice bike and have fun. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Have fun, ride safe.

Tom
Yeah SAFE, What a laugh! ATTENTION ALL VEIWERS: When these guys say that chain tensioner is a ticking time bomb listen! I tightened the crap outta the thing and checked every couple of miles and saw no more movement so I rode on maybe 6 miles in without checking it, without warning it dove into the spokes locking up my rear wheel and sent me flying like a rag doll when i went through a hard left turn. Luckly just some neck pain probably hyper-extended it. My friend who was watching got a good laugh! ruined my 41 chain too!

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT
Yeah that is scary! Best to drill a 1/8" hole through the tensioner and into the frame just to go through one side of the tube, and then tap a 1/8" roll pin in the hole to clock it so it can't spin out.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Congratulations on your first build Mr Black. Sorry you took a spill but glad you are ok. You cannot look these bikes over too much. Since I'm probably at least 3x older than you and know that I don't heal up as quickly I pre-flight my bike each time I get on it. Spend some time looking at some of the solutions these guys have come up with for the tensioner. You'll find something that will work for you.
Good Luck, Dan

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Well done. Glad you tucked in those cables. These new builds can have cables dangling like kudzu until you find time to adjust the length and tuck them it. My throttle cable was way too long on my first build so I looped it around my top tube until I found time to trim it.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Glad you're not too hurt!

Try to eliminate the tensioner- sometimes a smaller sprocket will give you more clearance- as well as a btter cruise without opening the throttle. You may not be able to on a mountain bike frame though-

But this isn't by any means the first time I've heard this scenario involving the tensioner- so on my two cruiser builds- I've never used one

saves all kind of weight too- I used to have to wheel my bikes up a flight of stairs, so I built them light

also- I'd recommend a 415 chain- not sure what you mean by 41 chain- a 410?
anyway- the 415 is harder to work with as far as cutting it, but it gives more tolerance to any misallignment problems -

I use a 415 Industrial/Trike chain- which is the same width as standard 415 but with shorter verticle plates- much lighter and rolls much smoother- you can hear the difference too. Search it here or on the net- about $12 delivered

If you can- post a picture of your motor and sprocket allignment- taken from right behind the back sprocket- and we can see better if you can skip the tensioner.

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I feel that I am obligated to advise you Do Not Drill A Hole In Your Frame. Bike frames are not thick enough to mess with.

Buy a six pack of cold beer and go to the nearest muffler shop at closing time and have them weld that tensioner clamp to the frame. There will be a fight over who gets to do it for you.

my two cents,

Happy riding, Chaz