shifter trouble

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
My Monarch with the 6-1/2 HP HFT engine wasn't shifting out of low. Today I pulled the Sturmey-Archer 3 speed tranny jackshaft and opened it up. Gee- It's been years since I did that. I was reallly lost for a time, but I opened up a 2nd one to see if it was any better and couldn't see anything wrong but rust. I soaked the parts in hot water with dishwasher soap and followed with lots of phosphoric acid and finally WD-40 and oil. Re-greased the bearings and re-installed. Finally I discovered the shifter lever isn't doing it's thing. I guess I need to find another one. Tempted to go with a twist grip shift if I can find one. G.Oskar in Tulsa has lots of old crap. Will check tomorrow.dnut

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
how does the 3 speed hub like the torque of the 6.5 motor?

i have a few hubs ive wanted to hook up to a big thumper motor but was weary of destroying the delicate gear teeth

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well good luck with that TF!
and I'd also like to know what you feel about your rig.
How long have you run it?
Holding up well, otherwise?
Best
rc
...have you posted pics of it?

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
how does the 3 speed hub like the torque of the 6.5 motor?

i have a few hubs ive wanted to hook up to a big thumper motor but was weary of destroying the delicate gear teeth[

It has done quite well. I found no wear. However, when I used one in the usual place on a 20" "road racer for my son when he was little, it had a hopped up 2 cycle Power Products with a twist grip shift and if ye didn't quite get it in gear it would wind uo unmercifully and enage with a destructive bang. I finally gave up after 2 fruit jars of debris. In operation with the big 4-stroke, I just cut the throttle and "snick my gear" as they say in limey land, and bring up the throttle cautiously. Sure strange to have freewheeling. At least if I had to push home, wouldn't have to clutch it or remove the belt. Went to G,Oscar's and got a Nexus twist shifter with cable for 10 bucks. Unfortunately, it has a brake handle incorporated in it. I already have a long handled pair of M/C levers with my mirrors screwed into them. I may put it on the throttle side and get a dedicated mirror boss. It tests your manhood to clutch against the trampoline spring. I can also use my foot with it however. The pix someone requested are located in 3-speed 6-1/2hp Monarch. the explanation is on that post. dnutAny questions please ask. Keith Williams

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
awesome! im glad to hear of someone putting miles on one and really testing it

i can see how neutral dropping the revvs into it can ruin it
but so long as i go easy putting the throttle on they can take it

i have to get my head in the game and start tinkering with a 3 speed!

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
If I had it to do over I think I would go for a modern hub tranny like a Japanese unit so I could find parts if needed. The S-A's are OLD.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I haven't seen a trike tranny. Sounds like interesting/rare/expensive. Next time I may use a Shimano 3 sp. since I have one, The S--A drum was modified by removing the right spoke flange and slipping a 5" pulley over to the inside of the shifter side flange. It was pop-riveted in place. It is mounted in 2 upright 1" angle irons welded to the footrest frame rectangle with rearward facing slots the width of the flats on the tranny. It barely clears the footrest frame so I have to put the belt in the groove before assembly. No biggy, but P.I.A It has to go on before mounting tranny anyhow.