Engine dying on hills

GoldenMotor.com

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
I finally got the rest of my parts in today, so I went out for a test ride. Ran good until I went up a semi-steep road; at which is proceeded to die on me.

I attempted the hill several times. No luck. I managed to get part way up, but as soon as I hit the incline I noticed a huge decrease in power.

Any fixes?

Here's a few images of the bike; might help.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg228/CrystalMagician/94b1249a.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg228/CrystalMagician/7622e646.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg228/CrystalMagician/0c07e496.jpg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What rear sprocket are you using? The smaller the sprocket the less hill climbing ability you'll have. The 44T that came with you kit should be sufficient for most hills but we have no idea how steep your "semi-steep road" really is.

A little pedal assist can be expected on steep inclines. These aren't motorcycles, they're motor assisted bicycles. You need to keep that in mind along with the fact that the power output will increase with milage. A new engine will not produce the power that a well broken in engine will. Give it a little time.

Tom

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I really like how you mounted the CDI! I did it the way it said to in the instructions that came with my kit, and it's always shifting around. The way you did it looks much more stable.

The petcocks that come with these kits don't have solid on/off positions, so you might want to flip it to a different position when riding your bike and see if it effects anything. Also check to make sure your choke is all the way off once you get going(sometimes I forget and get pissed). If you haven't done this already, open up your carb and check to make sure that your jet is screwed in tight. I'm not sure if that would cause the problem that you're having, but it's best to do that in case you haven't done that yet.

I live where there are a lot of steep inclines, and while there's a bit of a decrease in speed, my bike can usually pull me up at about 20mph with the 44 tooth sprocket. Though I'm also using a 66cc engine.

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
I'm also using the 80/66 cc china engine. I live in West Virginia, so I'm not short on hills either.

I just finally got around to giving the bike another go. It wasn't running too great at first, but I made some adjustments to the carborator screw and it seems to be running really well. It's still dying on hills though.

While the engine was running, I held in the clutch and got off the bike. I then lifted the front of the bike at a high angle and the engine still ran great (apart from a few noticed drops of gas leaking from carb). I now know it's not the angle.

I'm thinking that it just can't handle the pull of the incline. My chain is a little loose because the guide pulley is pretty much the biggest piece of junk ever created.

If I could get the chain tighter, would that increase my pulling ability?

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
For some reason, it doesn't sound as good as it did when I made the last post.

Tightened up the chain a little; still no good on hills. I can go up slight inclines fine, but nothing more than that.

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
Took off the carb.

When I rotated the carb, I noticed a leak of gas coming from around the seal. I assume if gas can get out, then air can get in. Might be the problem, might not be.

Will try to get it re-sealed better. Might just order a completely new carb anyway.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Have you checked your jet? Just remove the bottom of the carburetor and you should see it(it's a piece of brass).

It could also be that your clutch is slipping(the pads don't have enough friction when pulling you up a hill).

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
I took the carb completely apart and cleaned the jet.

I suppose the clutch could be the problem... it was a pain the get the right tightness on it.

No idea what the issue is here.

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
Finally got the chance to ride to class today!

I was worried about the hills, but I put it into the highest gear and just pedaled along with the bike and I made it; pretty quickly too.

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
Changed out the carburetor today with a Dellorto carb; must say it looks and feels of much higher quality that the stock carb.

I also put in a better mix of gas; however, my problem still remains. I can only make it up hills if I pedal along with the motor.