One Thing Leads To Another

GoldenMotor.com

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
A couple weeks ago I was vacuuming a New Tech , classroom that was vertually new at the beginning of the school year . It is very critical to keep it new looking because it was our school's latest showpiece . The teacher had some students bring some things from home to show the rest of the class . Those items were an old barn window frame , and a vintage Coleman lantern . The window frame was shedding paint chips all over the carpet so I bagged it up and cured the problem .In order to sweep up the chips of paint I had to move the lantern up and out of the way . As I did that , the bottom of the box it was in opened up and the lantern fell to the floor shattering the globe . My first response was to say sh%#@*! Then it was back to cleanng up that mess . I told the teacher the next night that I would replace the globe for the student . I turned to Fleebay . I found some vintage globes that had the correct Coleman lettering and bought one . In my search I noticed that almost all the vintage colman lanterns had bids on them and some were going for hefty prices . Now I'm interested in something else , that might be found at garage sales and auctions . The best way to sell as a hobby, is to find things many people will buy . I don't plan on getting rich but it looks like another fun way to kill time . Coleman lanterns here I come .

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think most of us are looking for a way to make about a hundred bucks a week extra while having some fun doing it. Buying and reselling collectibles sounds a lot less risky than making things for sale. I ran a photo studio for thirty years but the thoughts of shooting pictures for money just makes my stomach turn.

My son in law runs a version of my business on steroids. He is a lot more ambitious than I ever was. I'm still looking for that fun business which would not be profitable enough for anyone else. Please don't send me any online spamming schemes. I want it to be fun like Lefty

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I buy and re-sell on ebay all the time....I can't tell you what as I seem to have a corner on the market. ;) The items I buy are always under 5 dollars, and then I usually re-sell them for 15-20 or more.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Example- a "certain item" I bought for .57 and 2.35 shipping recently sold for 15 dollars and I charged the same for shipping. Another I got for 4.95 and re-sold for just under 50 dollars.

The problem is that I usually can only do it a couple times a month at best.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yeah I once bought a camera I knew a little about that was broken. I bought it to resell figuring someone could use it for parts. Sure enough I paid five bucks I think and sold it for fifty. But that only happened once.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
leftywoody

This is a great forum to visit , full of friendly , helpful people .

be-back-later.com • Index page

This is my Coleman model 158 (1951)

I have made money from eBay . It would be a full time job to make enough to live on . I live too far away from the thrift shops to make a go of it . There are regulars there who get a great deal of the good stuff . My latest find is a , new in the shrink wrapped box , table top water distiller (euro style) for $19 . This model sells for between 3 and 5 hundred dollars on the net . ..... D.J.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Thats a great looking lamp . Where I live is abundant with amish and they use pressure lamps and oil lamps as we would use fluorescent or incandescent lights . Coming home at night it is neat to see a house lit up with them . Im watching them sell on ebay they can range from $30.00 to 220.00 and up . A real nice vintage Coleman that is clean working and great paint is about $75.00. I'm partial to the red, single mantel, 60's ,200A models .

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i buy and sell bike parts all the time. i bought a box of misc. vintage parts for 60 bucks, 'cause i saw an old, NOS skiptooth chain in it. turned out it was 3 chains, and a set of NOS Torrington 8 nickle plated pedals, still in the package, from about 1940.

i re-sold one of the chains for 65, and the pedals went for 140.

bonus was there was a bunch of other parts i wanted, like a NOS Sach's Komet Super coaster brake hub (which is laced up on my new bike,) a coupla goosenecks, and a bunch of other stuff i needed. it was a great score.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
My dad found a spooky down hill hand made aluminum racing bike for 15 bucks, my brother was given a Klein aluminum bike that a friend of his found for 10 bucks(not so much friend anymore the same person that cut my 1988 Peugeot mountain bike in half because we were a day late in getting our stuff out of there shed I think my brother should give me the Klein but oh well), my brother found a Tiffany gold clock from 1880 that he sold for 900 he only paid 5 bucks for it, oh and my sister found a gold bracelet rapper style that she sold for 800 bucks she paid a dollar for it in with a bunch other stuff that was all crap all of these things came from an as-is goodwill. I think it is my turn now to find something worth a lot of money yea right peace out

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I saw a really interesting show on the history channel last night. It was about abandoned storage locker auctions. You might want to take a look.