Is it normal ?

GoldenMotor.com

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
I was doing some maintainance of the MB and found that the Air filter was all wet with gas/oil mix. Is this normal for the filter to get all wet? I know that I am running a little rich in the carb, the mix is 42:1 and the plug is still black and wet, I have also drilled the jet to .020, just wanted to know.

Q

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yes, it's normal for the filter to be wet!! There's no reed valve, so the intake has a little 'blow back' out of the carb as the piston moves up & down.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Normal... You'll also notice with a 2 stroke without reeds that there is a lot of intake noise...pop, pop, pop, from the carburetor. Every half pop carries a little fuel mix backwards, out of the carb and that's what you're seeing in the air filter. Don't worry about it. Ride it and keep a rag handy to clean up the little mess occasionally and clean the air filter when it gets dirty.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Also.... I just re-read your original post; & you shouldn't have drilled the jet!!! 99% of the time the jet needs to be smaller NOT BIGGER!! (Your plug should be brown, not wet & black!) :(

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Just thinking again (very dangerous past time) ,,,,,,,what if the air filter was set up as a box containing the filter part with a small extention that had a "one way flapper valve" in it that would act as a reed valve ,only the carb would be on the back side of it instead of in front of it like it usualy is

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
Also.... I just re-read your original post; & you shouldn't have drilled the jet!!! 99% of the time the jet needs to be smaller NOT BIGGER!! (Your plug should be brown, not wet & black!) :(
I guess that I should have stated it a little better, I did solder the hole and drilled it smaller,.020. I am still trying to work out the 4 stroking, and the richness. thanks for all the answers you guy have helped out with in the past.

Q

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I guess that I should have stated it a little better, I did solder the hole and drilled it smaller,.020. I am still trying to work out the 4 stroking, and the richness. thanks for all the answers you guy have helped out with in the past.

Q
Ok... Is the choke lever all the way down when you ride??