Raw 80cc

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodydropped

Jul 9, 2009
atlanta
got my new kit today 159.00 with free shipping :) from zone8cycling
i am really pleased with it, putting it together went really smooth the only thing that did not fit was the chrome muffler/pipe so i had to use a black one from another bike. i need to get the pipe bent a little for it to clear.
i took the bike for a little cruise for a minute or 2 and i gotta say it runs super smooth it sounds great idles great i like this motor so far im guessing the 36t sprocket helps with smoothing it out aswell.im gonna take it easy on it for the next well or so for break in time.
comparing it to my black stallion kits the raw kit is much much better, better everything in my opinion.

Just_Gassit

Jul 17, 2009
Northern Nevada
I built mine with a Black Stallion and just recently saw a Skyhawk kit up close. Seems a little more refined than mine. Not having any trouble with mine and the price was right, there seems to be some difference from paying a bit more. Let us know how it runs when it's broken in.

Plindy

Dec 9, 2008
mn. usa.
My raw zone 8, #1 a 49cc no power on hills, but still runs. #2 a 80 and climbs most hills easy! & now with 2000 miles or more no problems, did need to replace motor mount bolts.

P.S. my fingers were crossed when zone 8, got bad mouthed a few months back

Last edited:

bodydropped

Jul 9, 2009
atlanta
My raw zone 8, #1 a 49cc no power on hills, but still runs. #2 a 80 and climbs most hills easy! & now with 2000 miles or more no problems, did need to replace motor mount bolts.

P.S. my fingers were crossed when zone 8, got bad mouthed a few months back
hmm bad mouthed,i must have missed that post. but for me no complaints normal new motor stuff nothing major i need to play with the carb it needs a bit more fuel and im tring to find a better exaust to fit my bikes frame a little better. all in all im very pleased with the kit and zone8 was good free shipping and fast too. i rode the bike 5 miles to work today with no issues super smooth could not be happier.xct2

OLDSCOT

Jun 19, 2009
New Mexico
I got mine from the same source some time ago and can agree with you that it is a good kit. The only problem I have had is that after much use the clutch pads need replacing and this kit has the round pads which are hard to find and expensive (even zone8cycling does not stock them)whereas most of the other supplies kits have the
square pads that are stocked by several companes and much cheaper.

bodydropped

Jul 9, 2009
atlanta
well can i use the square pad clutch set up if i need to replace one day or do i have to use the round
cause i have a new square pad dics laying around from a flop or a build.
oh and the raw motor loves the slant head and expansion chamber/exuast its a whole different bike now.

WWCherokee

Feb 11, 2009
Lakewood Colorado
I bought a RAW 50cc. It vibrated a lot and had little power. It died within 150 miles. I beileive that 2 things killed it. An unbalanced crank shaft and air leaking through the poorly designed carberator mounting causing a lean condition. Either one of these things would have killed the engine on it's own.

It seems to me that all of these companies have sold some bad engines and more good ones. It's a gamble and the best you can do is buy one from a company that will warranty the engine and make good on the warranty.

I replaced the engine with a DAX and have had no problems with it but I do not think I will be using Chinese engines on future bikes I plan to build.

Attachments

ratty

Apr 17, 2009
Nashville ,TN
I have 3 HT engines , all 80/66cc, that I purchased already installed on bikes. 2 of them are from unknown sources. One of these two was virtually brand new(as previous owner said) when I got it, it couldnt have had 5 miles on it. The third and latest one is from Bike Berry, and I dont think the original purchaser ever got it running judging by the way it was installed. The Bike Berry motor is a Raw motor, made by the Jiangdu Flying Horse factory. It (raw engine) is the smoothest running and most powerful engine of the three stock for stock. Only one of my engines is still stock and thats not gonna be for long....I recently took off the cylinder and head to start some porting. Anyway, quality of the raw motor is very good except for a cosmetic casting flaw in the cylinder and a bent cooling fin. It really is the best one I have, and I wouldnt hesitate to get another one. YMMV

brnot

zone8cycling.com

Jul 31, 2008
Hi

First of all thanks for all your support.

second bikeberry doesn't carry the RAW motors. bikeberry is not related to RAW motors at all. and RAW motors doesn't come from flying horse, cmt, woodpecker,etc.... but i can say all 2 stroke engines are from china EVEN the DAX kit. DAX kit also are from china, so i don't know what DAX is talking about when he says his kits are not from china or he don't buy china brand engines ??? weird !!!

happy riding :).trk

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I don't believe thatsdax ever said their engines DON'T come from China.

Now aren't zone8 and bikeberry one in the same? Or am I wrong?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
All engine kits from all vendors are a hit/miss proposition....quality control (or lack thereof) being what it is.

What makes the difference is service after the sale.

ratty

Apr 17, 2009
Nashville ,TN
Hi

First of all thanks for all your support.

second bikeberry doesn't carry the RAW motors. bikeberry is not related to RAW motors at all. and RAW motors doesn't come from flying horse, cmt, woodpecker,etc.... but i can say all 2 stroke engines are from china EVEN the DAX kit. DAX kit also are from china, so i don't know what DAX is talking about when he says his kits are not from china or he don't buy china brand engines ??? weird !!!

happy riding :).trk

I based my response in part from information found in this post.........
http://motorbicycling.com/f14/hello-bikeberry-com-4481.html

Will the REAL Raw motors please stand up? :D

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I have two bikes one is a Wildfiremotors 50cc and it runs pretty smooth up to a point then vibrates. I have a 80/66 cc from Spooktooth and the engine runs pretty good always starts easily but vibration is there, so I keep the rpms at the mid-range level. I have read many guys getting 4000 miles on there engines and more, I would estimate about 500 miles on the 80cc and I keep wondering when the clutch will need replacing. The 40T sprocket I'm using is perfect for around a low speed of 15 to 18 mph and it will make about 30 then anything above that it begins to vibrate. After reading some of the above I guess we have all have pretty much the same experiences.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I know certain sellers claim to have superior engines, but in reality, they are very much all the same. You buy one and get what you get.

For some it's a nice hobby and a way of learning or sharpening your mechanic skills, for others who don't know a wrench from a muffler bearing, it can be a real nightmare.

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
Will the REAL Raw motors please stand up? :D
i've dealt with most of the distributors, and dealers of the HT kits in southern california, and here is what i can tell you. Zone 8 cycling is RAW. they used to be if i am not mistaken over in hacienda heights off of 8th street, and it is owned by andrew. i have bought for all of my bikes the RAW kits and i can't find a complaint about them. i go through a guy who works at RAW/zone8 who gets me the kits for 90 for the 50cc and 100 for the 66cc. bikeberry gets their kits from zone8's warehouse if i am not mistaken, which is now in el monte area from what i have heard. i also have heard many bad things about raw, but only by one who is no longer around us, who sells grubees and EZmotorbike kits in orange county (trying to be as vauge as possible)but i think that was only due to him being picky in the nature that he is. anyways back to the original point, raw is zone 8 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.