*&%@#$ I've been Confickered!

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Yes, I was peacefully surfing my daily comic sites last night when I noticed that something was downloading. I thought at first that it was an update for my AVG program but it seemed to be running long. I opened AVG and saw briefly that several functions were being disabled. I unplugged my DSL connection but it was too late. Now when my computer boots I get a screen with big red letters warning me that my machine has been infected with spyware. I am prevented from accessing any outside resources, and it keeps trying to route me to some site that I am sure will be offering to sell me a cure. I tried running my AVG in safe mode. The window looks normal but it has been neutered and cannot find the bug.

I've researched it a bit now and here are some steps you can take:

Easiest: Get a thumb drive or other form of storage and use another uninfected computer to download some removal tools.

Alternative:

Click: Start>Run
Enter: cmd
Click: OK
Enter: cd..
Repeat above until you are at the root drive, usually C:\>
Enter: net stop dnscache

I've never tried this but the claim is that this will disable the virus from blocking your outside access allowing you to download removal tools.

Expensive: Take your computer to a service center where they will remove your hard drive and disinfect it on another machine.

I guess once I clear this up I will be buying some higher end software and installing a firewall.

:-||

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Actually I have Malwarebytes on the machine and the bug has managed to neuter that also. I have a couple of apps from Symantec that are supposed to remove Conficker plus some utilities that the IT guy from work loaded onto my thumb drive now. Tonight I wage bloody war with this beast!!!!

.xx.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Dang, they coming up with some really nasty bugs. I wish they could catch a couple of those folks and do irrepairable harm to them...........................

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Dang, they coming up with some really nasty bugs. I wish they could catch a couple of those folks and do irrepairable harm to them...........................
I truly wish I was some form of super-hacker! I would trace this back to their computer and have it make clumsy easily traced attempts to hack into the military computers of whatever country they are hiding out in!

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Well, I waged my war and lost! The Symantec tool didn't touch the bug. Spybot knocked it back a few steps but couldn't remove it all. Adaware wouldn't even load. I now have my hard drive with me at work to see if the IT people will help me with it. If they can't get it I'll be heading to a computer shop after work tonight.

:-||

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I'm tellin' ya Fin, if you follow the steps in the link I posted YOU can clean it yourself AND make sure it is secure enough that something like this wont happen again.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The link you posted is a forum. If I had the time to study the posts I might learn something but I can't do that from work and for obvious reasons I can't do it from home either.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Supercheap permanent fix for Window$ crapwareOS.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

I first tried Knoppix I have not had a day of douwntime since .
I only reboot for a new kernel.
Knoppix comes on a live cd . for free.

Download it
Burn it to a cd.
Try it
It is a live cd No install needed.
Install it to your restore partition , You are still trying it.
Install it permanently if you like it. I did and still do like knoppix.
Or a distro called PCLinuxOs also extremely good and totally FREE both in price and spirit.
No antivirus needed.
Knoppix comes with about $5,000 dollars worth of FOSS software for free
If you were to purchase Wind@ws equivalent software.
on one super compressed disk.
I have tried almost all of the distros including freebsd and solaris.

I am currently trying Suse linux.

I am running on FOSS : Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042700 SUSE/3.0.10-3.1 Firefox/3.0.10

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I actually have an Amiga 2000. I think I've still got a 500 also. Now them were computers back in their day. A 2000 with a Fat Agnes chip and a processor accelerator. It was the cats meow.........................

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I actually have an Amiga 2000. I think I've still got a 500 also. Now them were computers back in their day. A 2000 with a Fat Agnes chip and a processor accelerator. It was the cats meow.........................
I think the latest multicore amd chips can multitask just like your Amiga .
After what 20 plus years LOL .

A cuda co processor is also available (videocard on steroids.)

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The link you posted is a forum. If I had the time to study the posts I might learn something but I can't do that from work and for obvious reasons I can't do it from home either.
Yes it is a forum. If you read the "mandatory steps before posting" thread and follow those steps, you can fix it yourself.
I have used that page to clean a lot of computers over the last 10 years. It has NEVER failed me yet.
But if you would rather pay someone else to do it thats ok too, it really don't matter to me, I was just trying to help with an area I have had a LOT of experience with.
Good luck

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Well, the IT guy here at my work just emailed me lo let me know that the demons have been driven out so I'm OK for now. However I will be studying that forum for a while to be sure this doesn't happen again! Thanks Nunya!

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
FinFan,
I have had the same issue AVG and a few other Microsoft anti-spy-wares.

I went to Walmart and bought BitDefender for a few years now. It is what it says it it, Bit Defender, It defends every little bit and bite on your computer and prevents viruses and spy-ware from hiding anywhere on your computer, BitDefender also Alerts you when an outside source is trying to access your system, and gives you the IP address of that source, including any Hackers.

I have all three BitDefender programs running on my system 24/7

NOTE:
Before you install BitDefender, you must Remove any other Anti-spy-ware programs.
BitDefender will recognize it as a virus, and will not work properly (Like Oil and Water, They don;t mix)

Last edited: