Arizona Dyno-Glide Build

GoldenMotor.com

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
Lookin' great Bill! You're gonna love it when it's finished....worth sweatin' all the small stuff (^)
Sweating is what we do in Arizona in summer . I can't wait to get it
going. I am taking more time on this one trying not to make the mistakes
that were done on the first one. You gotta love building these things.

Bill

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish

Bill
Yup! So true! Especially during the monsoon. Looks like your having lots O fun Bill!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Here you go my drawing sucks but all numbers are their.

[/URL][/IMG]
If you find a washer with the right size center hole they are thick enough and all you have to do is drill the outer holes. Thats what some others have used...........Curt

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I have a lingering question with these vertical HF engines- why does almost everyone create the intake manifold so that the carb is behind the engine? Seems like there is alot of empty space in front?

Also, I'm glad I looked at this pic before I made my intake because I now realize I have to clear the shroud (I don't currently have mine on the engine but will probably use it in the final build).

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Bill
Hi Big Bill, AZ Bill and the rest of 'ZOnies here, how did you like that Haboob that came through last night?

No damage here and just enough rain to make my two citrus trees happy;-}

You have a stunning build going on there Bill, hats off to ya and your shop skills, and putting a disc brake on the other end of the JS for a direct drive was pretty cool but I can't help but ask is if considered taking that shaft end down to the pedal drive train and putting a good internal shifter hub on the rear as you were right there.

Granted with a freewheel sprocket on the hub it wouldn't work with your disc brake but you could use a fixed sprocket as the pedals freewheel with a JS BB anyway and how cool is that? Huge power with just one chain to the wheel and gears!

Anyway you do outstanding work especially the fab work and we should talk since we are local.
I understand your work will let you use the cool machines to make parts but a tool is a tool and what I don't have I buy or have a friend with access to it.

Just food for thought as I have plenty of parts I use often I would sure like to improve on and use on my builds.

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
I have a lingering question with these vertical HF engines- why does almost everyone create the intake manifold so that the carb is behind the engine? Seems like there is alot of empty space in front?

Also, I'm glad I looked at this pic before I made my intake because I now realize I have to clear the shroud (I don't currently have mine on the engine but will probably use it in the final build).

My air cleaner would hit the front down tube unless I had it at an angle,
and I like the look of the carb behind the motor.

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
Hi Big Bill, AZ Bill and the rest of 'ZOnies here, how did you like that Haboob that came through last night?

No damage here and just enough rain to make my two citrus trees happy;-}

You have a stunning build going on there Bill, hats off to ya and your shop skills, and putting a disc brake on the other end of the JS for a direct drive was pretty cool but I can't help but ask is if considered taking that shaft end down to the pedal drive train and putting a good internal shifter hub on the rear as you were right there.

Granted with a freewheel sprocket on the hub it wouldn't work with your disc brake but you could use a fixed sprocket as the pedals freewheel with a JS BB anyway and how cool is that? Huge power with just one chain to the wheel and gears!

Anyway you do outstanding work especially the fab work and we should talk since we are local.
I understand your work will let you use the cool machines to make parts but a tool is a tool and what I don't have I buy or have a friend with access to it.

Just food for thought as I have plenty of parts I use often I would sure like to improve on and use on my builds.
That was a good storm last night , Wind ,Dust and lots of rain it was
great, no damage.

I thought about doing a single chain drive on this build but when my
Schwinn frame broke at the welds I decided to go with a clamping
method like CCC and Scott did using as much of the parts off my old bike
as possible. That would be cool to meet up , I can't go riding until
my bike is done though, I am hoping to have it done soon.

How close are you to Chandler?

Thanks Bill

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
That tank looks great! how does it mount?
I have bungs that are about 3" long 1" wide welded inside the tank that
bolt to the cross bars under the tank.

Here is a picture of the inside of an old tank I made.

[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks Bill

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That would be cool to meet up , I can't go riding until
my bike is done though, I am hoping to have it done soon.

How close are you to Chandler?
I am far from Chandler.

I am not close to AZ Bill in Fountain Hills either.

Beats me what it is about North Mountain that attracts me but I have spent the majority of my life living within about 15 miles of it and never really hiked it, not up anyway, I did however have my way with the whole range back in my teenage to mid 20's 4x4 years ;-}

Nice progress on the bike and it should sail with that drive system even if it is direct drive ;-}

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
I am far from Chandler.

I am not close to AZ Bill in Fountain Hills either.

Beats me what it is about North Mountain that attracts me but I have spent the majority of my life living within about 15 miles of it and never really hiked it, not up anyway, I did however have my way with the whole range back in my teenage to mid 20's 4x4 years ;-}

Nice progress on the bike and it should sail with that drive system even if it is direct drive ;-}
Yep I live on the other side of az. I would be up for a ride when this bike is done if you guys are up to it, that would be a kick. My longest ride was about 75 miles on my old bike.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I loved riding my mountain bike on Trail 101 in the North Mountain area. I lived closer to the South Mountains, so I spent more time on the National Trail and Desert Classic. AZ is a fantastic place to mountain bike. It was well worth falls on rocks and cactus.

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
I loved riding my mountain bike on Trail 101 in the North Mountain area. I lived closer to the South Mountains, so I spent more time on the National Trail and Desert Classic. AZ is a fantastic place to mountain bike. It was well worth falls on rocks and cactus.
OO yes I have left some skin on National , South Mountain is a great
place to ride and how about the jumping cactus! There are some great trails
out in Fountain Hills also.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Way WAY off topic but...
...and how about the jumping cactus!
Ya, Cholla cactus, nasty little buggers I have encountered many times.
http://www.jumpingcholla.com/jce_jumpingcholla.htm

Here is a Zonie tip for when a cholla attacks you or your pet or your bike for that matter.
Take some side cutters and cut the splines in you or Fido in half until the main bulb falls away.
The hollow hooked barb will relax straight in a minute or two and then the needles pull right out easy.