eBay Shift Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I live in Australia and its going to cost $60 in postage just to get a SBP Shift kit posted to where I'm located so I have been looking on eBay for the kits and found this kit - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JACKSHAF...pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item2c6aef5c7a&_uhb=1

Basically, I want to know what you people think of it and if its a total waste of money and I should just pay the extra and get a SBP shift kit?

~Regards
auflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Looks to me like it does basicly the same thing as the SBP kit. My only concerns would be quality and warranty. You can always replace cheap chinese bearings with better stuff. But if something else goes wrong will they stand behind it. I would contact them about their return policies.
fatdaddy.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
I live in Australia and its going to cost $60 in postage just to get a SBP Shift kit posted to where I'm located so I have been looking on eBay for the kits and found this kit - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JACKSHAF...pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item2c6aef5c7a&_uhb=1

Basically, I want to know what you people think of it and if its a total waste of money and I should just pay the extra and get a SBP shift kit?

~Regards
auflg
...i'm new to this whole motorized bicycle thing but i've been doing a LOT of reading over the last month or so, plus, i've made a few purchases from SBP in that time.

...then, because i'm considering a SBP shiftkit myself, i took a close look at the picture of the kit you linked to and i see a couple of obvious differences, not least of which is the way the jackshaft is mounted to the seattube, with the SBP kit it's a one-piece mounting bracket and the e-bay kit it's 3 pieces so that alone makes it less desirable and more subject to vibration.

...frankly, my experiences with SBP have been stellar, the products have all been solid, customer service is johnny-on-the-spot and the shipping is FAST, ...it's not their fault shipping is so expensive to Australia.

...so if i were you i think i'd rather suck it up and spend the extra cake on a product i know comes from a company that stands behind what they sell rather than take the gamble with an e-bay vendor.

peace, bozo

here are the pictures of both kits for comparison so you can see what i mean, the e-bay kit first and then the SBP kit. ...you get what you pay for man, that's just a fundamental law of business.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That is the old SBP 3-piece U frame design that looks to be stamped out, my very first shifter was with that kit and it's a nightmare to get right.

I like the already assembled dual chainring.
The pedals are the same.

I only see 2 U bolts so it doesn't have the vertical motor stay bolt which will really make it a nightmare as that is what you use to hold the motor up and tighten the right side chain.

The bottom bracket is not a sealed bearing shaft which means you will have to constantly mess with retaining nuts and bearings because it handles all the motor power.

Last but most important is the freewheel bearing that goes between the dual sprocket and special right crank arm, there are 2 I know of.

The cheap $20 one that WILL fail with anything bigger than a 48cc motor.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=34&osCsid=o87ldpuj1rplmnkmdb845qh135

The $70 HD freewheel is all I will use on anything as when that bearing fails you loose the whole BB including the special right crank arm because you'll never get the freewheel back out.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=62&osCsid=o87ldpuj1rplmnkmdb845qh135

My guess is that $140 E-bay kit uses the cheap bearing.

SBP still sells kits with the cheap bearing for those that don't need an HD for $145 and it has the 1 piece U frame design, motor stay parts, jump-stop, sealed bearing crank shaft, etc.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=28&osCsid=o87ldpuj1rplmnkmdb845qh135

The HD kit is $200 and the only difference is the better freewheel bearing.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=86&osCsid=o87ldpuj1rplmnkmdb845qh135

With first hand building the old style and a bunch of new style shifters get a real SBP shift kit, it will save you a ton of grief and frustration.

That is just the difference I see in the kits and has nothing to do with your build as you said nothing about your bike or show any pictures.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The $70 HD freewheel is all I will use on anything as when that bearing fails you loose the whole BB including the special right crank arm because you'll never get the freewheel back out.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=62&osCsid=o87ldpuj1rplmnkmdb845qh135...
Actually, it's entirely possible to remove & replace the freewheel bearing - soaking the threads in PB Blaster penetrating lubricant overnight w/a freewheel removal tool or the HD freewheel removal tool in a pneumatic impact wrench w/the crank arm clamped down in a (padded) vice does the trick quite nicely... if for some reason the freewheel's castellated part or removal tool is damaged, using a blunt chisel will also work - it will destroy the bearing ofc, but you'd not be replacing it if it wasn't busted in the first place.

I do have two threaded crank arms, this is so I can replace the broken freewheel bearing quickly & easily with a spare, repairing the other at my leisure. As I've now gone through four freewheel bearings both HD and standard I've come to the conclusion that not only is this necessary - that freewheel setup simply cannot be trusted with anything other then a stock and/or low use build as I'm averaging a replacement freewheel every thousand miles or so with my not-exactly-stock Rollfast no matter the quality of the bearing or it's maintenance.

I dearly love a jackshafted shifter bike but it does result in additional maintenance & repair, the difficulty being not all of it is possible roadside. Unless you've a spare arm & freewheel in your pack, if/when you lose that bearing you're not even pedaling home as your motorized bicycle is now a human powered kick-scooter.

Jus' a heads up... if you're more interested in redundancy & bulletproof reliability then comfort & preformance, a shift kit may not be for you ;)

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Sheesh, the 2-stroke (and having to use the crank arms to start it) must be really dang hard on the freewheel.

I put over 5K miles on a stock freewheel with my HS 4-stroke before it started to act up. I don't think it was the engine's torque that caused it to go on the fritz either - I was a bonehead one day, didn't shut off my petcock and the cranks and bottom bracket got soaked in gas lol.

I had bought an HD freewheel back in 2010, using that now. Granted, the HS makes considerably less power than a chinagirl and doesn't need to be pedal-started, but I'm surprised you've gone through so many freewheels!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Good points BA, and yes I have both removal tools and have removed a couple of good freewheels from bad crank arms before, my point as you mentioned is there is much more involved when you jackshaft and part of that is the specialty tools which besides the bottom bracket cartridge install/removal tool you usually need a crank arm removal tool as well all of which add to the initial cost.
Sheesh, the 2-stroke (and having to use the crank arms to start it) must be really dang hard on the freewheel.

... I'm surprised you've gone through so many freewheels!
me too, I have only seen 2 go bad in 3 years and 40 some odd shifter builds.
The first was a 48cc JS with cheap FW that was converted to 66cc which promptly munched it.

The second was this beast with an HD FW.

The customer wanted to see how far he could push it.
It was utterly and completely destroyed to the point of not being able to salvage anything but the inner sprocket.

Last edited:

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Just do it and get the SBP kit. you will never look back. my postage cost more than that, as I got spares at the same time. You will notice that there are weight breaks with postage. so you might as well make use of getting spares at the same time.

get the grub screws, oil, keys and a bearing to keep as a spare.

~Regards
auflg

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
OK,I'be been wanting to say this for almost 2 years now . I know I'm about to stir up some B.S. on several levels here . I run the HD SBP SHIFT KIT @ CHAMBER. Shimano 360 derailur , 34-14 Shimano superlo mega range freewheel cog , RC Machine head JNMOTORS X-PORT, Arrow Reedblock, DAX RT Carb, and a Jaguar . NGK IUIDIUM PLUG , 93 octane pump gas w/ AMSOIL octane boost 40:1 saber in the tank .Ported& Polish every thing including the pullstarter. TTO gauges gps speed checked @ 52.3mph. The HD bearing is made here by a company called white industries . I no wonder Jack my engine to just to drive chain I fabricated on the left and the right spring operated chain tensioners no more maintenance . I have 2600 miles on my shift kit with no problems . I have talked with Jim and sick bike parts and he said it is sealed bearing just run the **** out of it .that conversation was almost 2 years ago no problems the only maintenance is I'll take it apart just to wipe grease down from the chain lube .if you run a 66 they recommend the HD KIT because the standard free wheel bearing will not hold up in mine is holding up to a race engine 2600 miles of pure punishment. And for as that comoment about leaving you on the side of road it WAS'NT THE **** KIT , it was good old fashion nail flat. None of the guys I ride with dare to call me out in race. If you set up the kit the right way , you in fact have not just built a motorizedbike but motorcycle. This why I go by " Huffydavidson" for real.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I still think it is low down and dirty they stole SBP's design... I thought they stopped that??
Yep, the e-bay kit is the same old style SBP 3 part system on that silver soft tail pic, the new 1 piece U shaped frame is much easier to install and you don't have take the jackshaft apart to get to your drive sprocket or clutch plate.

So why didn't the rip-offs just copy the new design?
You can just stamp out the parts.