straight bar frames?

GoldenMotor.com

HollywoodHooligan

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
If you look on ebay at vintage frames there are any number of well made old ones which have the straightbar configuration you're looking for. The Schwinn straightar (Panther, Motorbike, etc.) is the only vintage frame I know of which someone makes a tank for... sportscarpat. Great tanks, by the way.

I have both frames and the Panther has a lot more room without modification. The Worksman frame is cramped without modification(pictured in my avatar with a HT engine). I had to have a different front down tube welded in to give enough room for my Sachs engine (Indian Hiawatha thread).

If you're able to make a tank or pay someone else to do it, then there are more great frames out there waiting for a motor.
SB
sorry i meant pirate bikes
http://www.piratecycles1.com/woinfrta1.html they sell gas tanks and other things and they seem to prefer worksman frames so I assumed they were the most practical but if you have to mod the frame to fit the motor anyway it seems sort of pointless to spend the time and extra $$ for one when other frames can have a tank fabricated thanx for the info also i tried looking at your avatar photo but i cant figure out how to look at any pix in someones profile...sorry I'm new to all this

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
As I mentioned you could use the older Schwinn straightbar frame (panther) and purchase a tank from sportscarpat. I just put a 99cc Predator engine in mine, so there is room.

The Worksman frame is good looking, but about all you can squeeze into the frame unmodified is a HT engine. I had mine modified by replacing the front down tube with one I cut from a girl's Schwinn front down tube which gives plenty of room for a 99cc Sachs 2 speed engine.A local welder charged me 35.00 to weld in the Schwinn tube... not real expensive.

In the paint and shop section of the forum there's a sticky by BarelyAWaketelling how to cut a tank from steel and get it all ready to have a welder zzzttt it together. So even if you don't weld there is always a way to get what you want. You could save a good bit of money that way leaving the welder with just welding to do. Asking someone to make a one of a kind gas tank from scratch is time consuming and therefore expensive. However, in frame tanks are so cool...
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
As far as I know there only the Panther frame, Worksman frame, and custom job tanks out there. If you or someone you know is up to making a tank you have endless possibilities. Otherwise you have to go with a worksman frame or panther. I have a Panther and the space is tight for motor options without mods, the HF99 and whizzer are the largest you can fit. If it were Me, I would check out what Norm at Venice has.

HollywoodHooligan

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
As far as I know there only the Panther frame, Worksman frame, and custom job tanks out there. If you or someone you know is up to making a tank you have endless possibilities. Otherwise you have to go with a worksman frame or panther. I have a Panther and the space is tight for motor options without mods, the HF99 and whizzer are the largest you can fit. If it were Me, I would check out what Norm at Venice has.
Ya he venice bikes offered me something with a tank already welded in im going to shoot him a text since i am in the same city

HollywoodHooligan

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
****UPDATE**** I was hitting the submit button as I noticed the same guy i saw and offered $50 bux to for a worksman complete (I was half way joking), anyway i noticed the guy standing and trying to get my attention outside my shop....haha I guess he had a change of heart and decided to sell it I ended up giving him $40 so i guess worksman it is! i cant wait to get home and start planning this, my first complete build. my current bike had a china girl already mounted, although it was completely slaPPed together and I have basically tore it down and put it all back together It still doesn't feel like something I built more like something I got running right. (with a lot of help from this forum of coarse). anyhow i'll post pics of the progress dance1

Attachments

Reactions: Zoom XF