First Build

GoldenMotor.com

seabee

Oct 15, 2011
North NJ
Hello all,

Thanks to some great advice, my son and i put this together. Using an customized old huffy frame and a husquvarna chainsaw engine. We are going to test drive it this week when the temperature gets above freezing. We'll give you the results as soon as we get them.

Thanks again guys for all your help, it was a fun build.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I love it! Pure simplicity. How was that roller devised and what is it's diameter.
:~)

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Great build! I theorize the roller is the extended clutch. If it will drive it man it will be a ride! Probably a bit ambitous size wise, but experimentation is what its all about. Love the seat, tank and floor boards. If it drives like math says it should, you are WAY under braked. Be careful! Keep us posted.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have had a lop sided motor with it in the triangle spot on the frame with vbelt and washing machine pulley drive with lean over except when moving very slow. Of course the motor was lower down to the ground, but it was also heavier a 3hp Briggs.

Gyroscopic effect of the wheels at speed have you forget about it except if you try to turn the handle bars real quick.

The mention of brakes, I know vbrakes are quite good better than side or center pull. Disc or drum better obviously. What I always wonder is if a heavier person is riding a bike and a lesser weighing person is riding a motor bike, is this not apples and apples?

If the analogy works the only other factor is if the motor bike generally goes a lot faster so stopping with discs and drums sound nice. Drums for wet are still useful so that is a real plus!

Is there any sponge effect of the seat? It looks cool and the foot rests too. Oh yea, I just thought you too have removed the pedals. I'm not the authority, but are you planning on dirt riding or on the road..... Cause well you know....

Have fun!

Measure Twice

seabee

Oct 15, 2011
North NJ
The motor weighs a couple of pounds, really has no effect, ecept when at stop you'll feel a slight lean. For the roller we used a piece of 3" exhaust pipe tack welded onto the clutch drum, was a perfect fit. I had it about 1/2 throttle, figuring i was doing 10-15mph on level ground. Was a fun ride, and heres a little video for you.

Chainsaw powered bike - YouTube

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Kool ride! Must be getting some slippage in the clutch or at the wheel or both. A Rancher should easily turn 8500rpms. with a 3" roller that would be 76mph. Might entertain a 1.5" roller that would still be just under 40mph and would probably climb hills pretty well. Its a nice build. Have fun with it!

seabee

Oct 15, 2011
North NJ
Yes i am getting slippage in the clutch,not enough area for it to grab properly.
Thinking about trying a 4 stroke with a suitable clutch.
I,m not really looking for speed just an easy ride around the neighborhood.