how long would it take..

GoldenMotor.com

Jneff

May 15, 2011
florida
how long would it take to start having problems if you don't put enough oil in a brand new engine? i think i really messed up, i had just got a new engine put on my bike, and after a long day of work, i have no idea what i was thinking but i only put about 2 ounces of oil in my .5 gallon tank. it ran fine for the ride home, then the ride to work the next morning but when i tried to go home, when i went to start the engine up the pedals wouldn't move. i pushed and pushed and got them to move just a little bit but nowhere near enough to start the engine. is it possible that this is related to the improper fuel mixture? i mean the ride to work is only 7 miles one way. when i put my bike in my girlfriends truck to take it to another motorbike expert most of the gas leaked out in the bed of the truck.. the guy is going to have a look at it tomorrow.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
4 oz per gallon is 32:1, and you put 2 oz into a .5 gallon tank, so that it the same ratio, 32:1

I have always run 32-40 :1 ratio with no problems. What kind of oil did you use?

Jneff

May 15, 2011
florida
the bike can not be pedalled at all, with the clutch locked, or with it out, or even with it pulled all the way in. i used quicksilver 2 cycle outboard oil "mulit-use".

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
That is a TCW (Two Cycle Water-cooled) type oil and is designed for water-cooled engines, which run cooler than an air-cooled engine, so be careful with that oil. I don't think the oil did any damage considering the low miles you put on.
Maybe the chain is bunching up under the clutch cover and locking up the sprocket?

Jneff

May 15, 2011
florida
apparently the clutch just needed to be adjusted. also the back label on the bottle says it "provides excellent 2-cycle lubrication for all horsepower outboards and other 2-cycle water-or air-cooled egines"

it had a picture of a motorcycle on the front, and on the front and i bought it at the gas station.