Weld to bike?

GoldenMotor.com

jmr3394

Apr 5, 2010
U.S.A.
The rear mount on my engine broke. I was wondering if I could weld the engine to my occ chopper bike frame? Is that possible? If not, what should I do?

Thanks,
JMR3394

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No! Don't even consider it.
First of all your bike frame is probably steel; the engine is aluminum. The two are not compatible. Even if the bike is aluminum you DO NOT want the engine welded to the frame.
Second, welding on the engine case will distort it and probably ruin it. It is in two halves and once you weld the mount area you'll be stuck with an engine that can not be disassembled for repairs.
There are many other reasons why this is a very bad idea. You'd be much better off looking for a supplier that can sell you just the engine then you'd have your old one for parts.

Tom

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
There is a very reasonably priced mount specifically for the OCCs, right around $30
You could weld the proper support bars onto the frame yourself, but with the mount you already have the proper offset figured in for you

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
OK,stud broke off in the case ,there are threads on this,there is a search bar at the top of the page,I will look too

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
The good news is it's not to hard to repair. One can dremial a slot for screw driver ,use two nut jamed together to back stud out or an easy out tool.
I have been thinking for some time that we need a stickey in trouble shooting for busted stud removal tech.'s if there isen't one?
It's unfortunate that it is so common a problem , i simply won't mount an engine with the junk studs from the kits , it's not worth it.
I have too post pics thru dropbuckett or i would tackel it myself.

jmr3394

Apr 5, 2010
U.S.A.
Ya you are right on the money. I unfortunately do not have a drill or drill bits. Are there any alternative ways to attaching it?

Thanks

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If it doesnt have lock tite and is level w/the aluninum you might be able to use a welder and stick a welding rod to the end of the bolt and unscrew it that way.I would buy a dremmil ,they are fun too