Dax new drive/ super Titan

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
How are these coming along Im interested, Dax. Weve been busy and are moving north off of wads but your still my main man. We bought a property and things are mucked up right now but Dax let us know how things are going on these projects please......Im transferring your kit to a great DBACK mtb from a cheap wally world bike and have high expectations of it. Im sorry to dissassemble her but to upgrade her is a nice feature.......Titan rules! minus 200$ to setup a honda with clucth.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hello Bandito and everyone. We have a new Gear Box that is 5.25:1 reduction. Uses standard 1/2 drive sprockets and also free Wheels. I have to get her mounted and tested. This Gear Box works with all Engines that have and use the standard 76-78mm clutch and 4 bolt pattern. Estimated cost for the entire kit with Titan engine included will be around 295usd. No kidding. Since it is still being developed and tested, my feeling is that as it gets closer to production, cost may come down a little. For now, it will be offered as a kit and will be the only way to get this gear box at first is with the kit. But. We will have to wait and see. Stay tuned...DAX.. Engineering that just makes Cents !!!

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi.. And Yes.. This is IF or In Frame. We do not have a Jack Shaft version yet. This version is to drive the standard left side type sprockets which are in common use today. The idea is to use exsisting or as much of the exsisting proven parts that are out there now. This helps to keep the price down and makes the kit not only reliable, but more affordable. I will post some pics soon so you can see and offer any comments or improvments would be appreciated. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride !!

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Here is the latest. The Factory sent me the new type gear box with chain, tank, sprockets, exhaust, mount, everything except the Titan motor with 76mm clutch, which I have already. The Factory sent me a 50T. Also, this new free wheeling gear box is 5.5:1 reduction. I figured using the 50T they sent me would enable the bike to climb a telephone pole. I was right. Top speed was 19mph. Cruise 16. Also. I mounted the setup on to a K2 bike I found at a garage sale. It is a decent bike. For 10 bucks, it is an awesome bike ! Brakes are superb. Handling is great. Engine barely fits too. I knew it would be close. But wow !! It was super close. The choke almost touches and I had to grind down the oil dipstick to facilitate is removal and replacement. Crazy !! But it works. Also had to mount the Muffler support bracket to the water bottle mount screw. The down tube was so large it was the only way I could use the bracket. And. I wanted to use it since the exhaust pipe is so long, I was afraid to run it with only the 2 exhaust screws supporting it. Something I do with the much shorter exhaust pipes. I am not sure what is inside the gear box. Since it the only one I have, I will continue to test it. If it makes 500 miles plus with no hiccups, then I wil sell this kit. I have 30 miles on it the first day. So far, it is working perfectly. I removed the 50T in favor of the more common 44T. I bumped up the top speed to 23, cruise is 19-20. This would be a good starting point for most riders. I think I may go with the 41T. This 5.5:1 reduction gear box is efficent and with my current 44T really pulls hard. I will get some Video of the gear box and bike in action so all can see. The initial testing is that this is a really good setup. I am running stock pedal setup and it clears. But a wider Spindle to move the pedals further out would be nice. I may do it and add the parts to the kit or make the parts optional since they are not required but your feet are at the ends of the pedals if you know what I mean. But again. Buyers can save the cost initially and just get the wider crank spindle kit later. Anything to keep the cost of biking down is the idea here. Also. I had to remove the outer shell of my air box and use zip ties to keep the foam in. A big time rain storm may put a stop to my ride with the outer shell removed. Like I said, this K2 is a tight fit. Here are some still pics for now. Any suggestions or comments is appreciated. Enjoy the ride !!

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve B

Apr 25, 2010
Mason, Michigan
This is a low mounted engine, it looks great. Do you find that pedaling with the wide crank is more tiring than with a standard narrow set up like on a rear non v mount?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi Steve. Since I have retained my 170 crank arms, pedalling effort is the same. Since the free wheel is located inside the gear box, there will be some parasitic loss because of the centriputal forces required to rotate the 415 chain, sprocket, 10T, and axle inside the gear box. Keep in mind, most gear boxes when coasting will also spin the entire gear box and those would be added losses when pedalling. This gear box usurps this by adding a free wheel right at the 10T PTO. It does coast and pedal very nice I must say. I will see about getting a Video together to show this. What I want to do is keep testing to make sure it is all good before I get everyone and myself too excited about this setup. So. Let me rack up some more miles. I really would like to hit 1000km trouble free miles before I call it good. That would be around 600 miles. Tell you what... If I can hit 300 trouble free, I will post the video. We did get some snow last night. Once it warms up, I will put another 50 miles on her. I may swap in a 41T before my ride.. If all goes well. I will do a Canyon climb up to Tiny Town tomorrow and really load this motor and drive train. That would be a killer test for sure.. Enjoy the ride....

Steve B

Apr 25, 2010
Mason, Michigan
Hello Thatsdax,

Thanks for sending the very first reply I ever recieved on this forum. I value your comments which tell me a little more about the 5.5 to 1 gear box and built in one way ratchet.

I am an engineer (ME), I think I read an earlier post where you stated you are also.

I am impressed with your handiwork sqeezing that into the small frame. The system is even narrow enough to work without a wide crank. which prompted me to ask my original question.

I am working on a full suspension system where the rear swing arm pivot swings from the same point as the center of the drive sproket. I too will get pictures when I get it together enough to make sense of it.

I want to buy a Titan engine but have not found one that has a standard 5/8 shaft like the Honda GXH50. I know that HuaSheng makes one, I think it is the F142. I need to mount a standard v belt pully and no centrifugal clutch.

Thanks again for your reply.

Steve B from Michigan

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi Steve. Yes. I too am and Engineer. My Degree is in Electronics Engineering with a Minor in Computer Technology. Not sure how that happened since I have been around engines and bikes all my life. I did have a semester of ME. Required for my degree. I remember some of it. If I had not gone for EE, an ME would have been my next choice. And yes.. You are correct. The Titan is Different than other Shandong Huasheng Motors.. "SH". It has a tappered shaft with 3 shoe clutch. Titan is a spec motor from SH. The reason we specified it was that so many applications exsist for the 76mm clutch setup. Even the Honda GX35 uses it. Not sure why Honda steped away from its usage for the GXH50. Even so. I have taken the hub and tacked a steel shaft to it, and then clamped pullies to the shaft so that I could test and run V belt configurations. Got the idea from my snow blowers. Also can use a clutch with that configuration. Using this design allows the owner to go back in forth from V belts to auto clutch at will. Just an Idea for you and others. Enjoy the ride..

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Here is a picture of how the Hub with pully looks. I welded a hollow shaft on to the center of my hub. This hollow steel shaft allows for different size pullies to be mounted to it. Since the Shaft is hollow, you can then put a bolt through it and bolt it back on to the motor. Simple and works great !! Enjoy the ride...

Attachments

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Was a pleasure talking with you today the shipment came in a lot faster than I expected...I gotta wonder how hard it'd be to put a belt on like car timing belts use man they got grip and then a larger pulley on the back to match be really cool to merge car parts into these puppies esp the auto tensioners timing belts and serpentine belts use tons of that stuff ripe for the pickin at junk yards. Oh btw I did get the $40 gear box so mount forward is gonna be easier still in the design mode for now.

Here is a picture of how the Hub with pully looks. I welded a hollow shaft on to the center of my hub. This hollow steel shaft allows for different size pullies to be mounted to it. Since the Shaft is hollow, you can then put a bolt through it and bolt it back on to the motor. Simple and works great !! Enjoy the ride...

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well.. I changed out my rear sprocket. I went smaller again. I installed a 36T. Wow !! This bike really hauls !! It still has good climb and it really does haul. Even up here at 6000 feet or more this bike really hauls ! I can hit 34.2mph and cruise 28mph. No kidding. Again.. This is at 6000 feet. You lose 4 percent of power for every 1000 feet. And.. Since we have only 5-8 percent humidity, we are equated at 9000 feet for Horse power reasons. That means, My Titan motor is down 36 percent on power compared to someone at sea level. And still. I can punch out 34mph and climb like no tomorrow!! This is turing out to be a great setup for sure. At 50 or so miles a day, I should hit the 500-600 mile mark for testing here soon. Since this gear box free wheels, I will install a spring loaded idler wheel . Enjoy the pics.. Enjoy the ride...

Attachments

Steve B

Apr 25, 2010
Mason, Michigan
Dear thatsdax,

Just the reverse for my career. I have an ME degree and help teach ECE480 capstone class at MSU to electrical engineers. I also design electronic circuits for technology to help persons with disabilities.

Thanks for the picture of the pulley shaft adapter you made. I could make one of those with my tig welder and lathe.

I might buy a Titan XC50 now that I learned this trick. Does this make the engine wider than a Honda QXH50?

I read on the thatsdax web site about the Titan XC50 engine. I appreciate the pictures and details about the inside of that engine. I am curious though, doesn't a stock HuaSheng F142 have an iron sleeve and ball bearing crank? Funny how this important info is not available anywhere.

Thanks again,

Steve B

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
from the looks of that last photo if you could extend the gear box out another inch or two you'd already be set up to do a jackshaft type operation for the front pedal sprockets or just use regular gears to do a jackshaft from the chain drive mechanism near the down tube. hmmm....

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hey sign guy.. Yes.. I agree.. Shift Kit for these new Titan 4S in frames are sure to follow. I only need to get this setup tested and proved. QED. Right now, we are getting snow and it is too cold and wet to ride. Hopefully more miles of testing tomorrow. Thanks.. And.. Enjoy the ride.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I can tell you this Osyter, I was down at Table Rock Lake Near Branson. That town is around 1500 feet or so high with good humidity. I brought 2 Titan setups with me. I was Shocked at the power. Shocked !! It was Hang on time !!! I mean it.. The power was amazing. I feel it in my car too. From a Dead Stop, I could light the tires on my mercury. Up here, I can not even get a chirp out of them. Enjoy the ride..

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I know how you feel. I will get it shipped as soon as I can. We are really Backed up right now. I have plenty of help now, so hopefully we can get caught up in the next 2 weeks or so. I appreciate your paitence. Sincerely.. Duane.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Its cool that you sell these kits and ride them. That makes me interested to look to you for stuff in the future. My new friend George_In_TX has some parts or an engine from you. I will be happy to see how these work.

What is a DAX?