Oily carby

GoldenMotor.com

Yoshua

Oct 18, 2009
New Zealand
Hey guys, my carby seems to be jetting in the wrong direction. Have an oily fuel mix all through my air filter and its leaking out of the bottom of air filter housing (making a mess on the motor and collecting dust). Its not a trickle not even a drip its just always damp with fuel. I like to think of it as an automatic chain oiling mechanism but its starting to get a bit grose. Other than that its all running smoothly apart from its 4 stroking a bit more than I would like however I am hoping that will pass when i get off the run it in fuel mix? speaking of E clip settings should I wait untill I've got through the run in be for i bother tuning the 4 stroking out.

Almost forgot to mention what I'm running. 70cc 2 stroke with the carb that has the round black filter cover with the 3 air intake holes

Cheers Yoshi

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Move your C clip up one notch and try it. (leaner) You should be running 24:1 for break in despite what the "instructions" say.

Welcome to the forum.

Yoshua

Oct 18, 2009
New Zealand
Cheers for the reply. After reading a few posts yesterday I moved my E clip up to the top notch its still 4 strokes in patches of the rev rang but she seems to have a more power. I'll check my spark plug now that shes cooled down and let you know.

About the fuel I'm running the recommended 16-1 run in mix at the moment and it doesn't really smoke. I also had a 4 point seizure with my last head and piston and that was running 20-1 mix. I'm in New Zealand so I'm not sure if the fuel/oil is a bit different but I'm guessing its not different enough to make that much of a difference. The other thing is that I live in Wellington and this city is built on a **** ton of hills so I'm never on the flat.

As I was drifting off last night it dawned on me that the fuel could be coming out of that whole that goes into the bowl from the air filter space. Maybe my needle valve is not shutting off properly or the float is floating to high. what do you reckon?

Cheers Yoshi

Yoshua

Oct 18, 2009
New Zealand
Hey, so she is running great, I lowered the fuel level in the bowl, set the E clip at the highest point and presto hardly any 4 stroking. The leakage from the carby also seems to have subsided. And spark plug is looking about right.

But the run in phase for my rebuilt engine is complete so I'm going to switch to a leaner fuel mix. Please correct me if I'm wrong? If I change to a leaner fuel (1:20) then I should probably drop the E clip down a notch depending on the colour of my spark plug? Does this mean that I could run a really lean mix say 1:30 and move the E clip way down the needle. Is essentially the E clip function and the fuel/oil mix doing the same thing (supplying the correct amount of oil and fuel to the combustion chamber)? So if I'm barking up the right tree, what have you guys found to be the best E clip setting and fuel mix?

Cheers Yoshi

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No!
Change to 24:1 or even 32:1 after break in.

Also, a LEANER mix of oil in the gasoline will actually result in a RICHER fuel to air ratio, and a cooler running engine.