help! can i do it!?

GoldenMotor.com

matt58

Oct 12, 2009
charlotte
Hey, new member here, I have a Mongoose xr200 (yea i know, crap bike) and im wondering if i can fit a 66/80 cc engine kit on it, reason being is because most of the bikes i have seen with the engines are about the same style or close to it.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I suspect that you are referring to a common 66/80cc in frame engine. If so, the answer would be strong-NO. Don't even try it. Now, that being said... If you are talented with a welder, ingenious, patient and very creative, it might be possible. Because of the rear suspension, you absolutely can not fit the engine in that frame. If it is at all possible for the engine to be mounted on that bike, you would have to do something quite funky to mount it on a rack type system over the rear tire.

Its just not worth it. If you are set on the bike, look at a 4cycle rack mounted system but it will cost you more. Suggestion would be to try to find a garage sale/craigslist mountain bike with the old v frame and 1-1.25" tubes.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A Mongoose xr200 isn't that bad of a bike, there's far cheaper ones with engines strapped to 'em - mine included lol! A rack mount isn't such a bad thing, not always four strokes and also not always really "expensive" - it may be worth it to have a full suspension far easier and cheaper than what the in-frame guys have to deal with to try and get a squishtail.

Found a pic for ya ;)

*shrug* or you could just do what I did - went and got a bike I could mount the in-frame kit on. I still long for a rear suspension tho :( If you decide to go this route, you could find a bike at the evil Walmart that has a good frame and transfer the better parts from your bike - front disk brake, forks etc. That way you could save some cash.

Last edited:

matt58

Oct 12, 2009
charlotte
hmm, thanks for all the replies, yea thats what iw as afraid of about my frame, although that mongoose with it over the rear tire looks pretty damn cool, I dont think i would be able to fabricate a rack for it and stuff. I guess I will just try to find a cheap frame that will work. would it be hard to switch components from my bike over to a different one? im a bike noob. this one gives me enough problems as it is like the handle bars come loose and roll back on me and when going up hill unless im in a super low gear it misses or something.

Edit: If i set up a rear rack, could i mount it on there?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/175-4371720-0709202?ASIN=B000IT0X0A&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000IT0X0A|Bell_CarGo_Rear_Bike_Rack&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000IT0X0A&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There are plenty of rack mount engine kits available, just not for modding an in-frame engine onto the back. Most new bikes are mostly interchangeable insofar as parts are concerned - but you'd wanna look at the parts themselves to make sure.

Check out the DIY section of this forum if yer interested in fabbing up a rack mount, most cargo racks prolly wouldn't be beefy enough... tho the one you linked is a nice 'un :D

I think pickin' out another bike for an in-frame kit just might be the easiest and cheapest route, but I could be wrong - hope the rack mount boys don't lynch me lol

matt58

Oct 12, 2009
charlotte
hmm wanna point me in the direction of some rack mount engine kits? how much mroe expensive would it run me? i found a honda one for 400 something.. they all gonna be around that range?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Maybe - it's been a long time since I messed about with rack mounts, sorry :( But the Hondas are prolly one of the most expensive as Honda is a great engine, usually 4stroke too for a rack...

There's plenty of guys here that'll have good input tho - I'd start a new thread called "lookin' for rack mount kits" or w/e if they don't drop in here with somethin' to say. ;)