Running Fuel Lines

GoldenMotor.com

hmlhogan

Jul 23, 2009
Kingman, AZ
Hello, new to all this. Have a Trek Classic Cruiser with 48cc motor installed. I made a gas tank that fits into the elongated V shape of the cross and bottom bars. Fits quite well but seems to place the outlet quite low to the inlet of the carb as in the supplied pic. The gas line does drop a little and my question is will this be too much to stop a good gravity flow knowing that with the lack of a fuel pump gravity is a big factor. Thanks fellow MBers

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
hmlhogan,
You're good to go. As long as you're higher than the carb inlet, fuel will flow downhill. The tank must be vented however but I'm sure you've made provisions for that. Nice looking tank, by the way. Is it aluminum or fiberglass? Have fun, ride safe.
Tom

hmlhogan

Jul 23, 2009
Kingman, AZ
Thanks for your expert input 2door. I love your avitar hotrod. As for the tank, Its actually 5mm luann plywood, epoxy and fiberglass at stress points. Thee inside with 2 layers of epoxy and then will be sealed with Kreen tank sealer from local H/D shop. Ive also made up a board track racer tank simular to HoughMade Cycle Works tank hiding the standard tank from kit. I also aadded a small 'glove box' at rear of housing so not to waste space.
drn2
Michael

Attachments

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I agree you should be fine as long as the line is full, if you get a large air bubble it may not siphon correctly but would not be difficult to get the bubble out. I also noticed your fuel filter is on upside down. Nice build BTW.

hmlhogan

Jul 23, 2009
Kingman, AZ
Looks to me that I should swap the fuel line so to get the filter up to the tank outlet. Thanks for all the encouraging comments. So far it's all been a blast out of my past, when I was working and my head was always a buzzing. I was a pattern maker, draftsman, graphic designer and catalog developer, seemingly all at once!! But sure do miss it all.drn2