woodruff key or shear key dimensions for front drive 10 tooth sprocket

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
so i have had one engine that has had continuing issues arount the engine output sprocket or chainwheel drive

i lost a shear key or woodruff key, made a replacement, had some stripped threads, and found that my key was bent up and shearing. i have had a hard time finding a replacement.

I made another new one, which fits nicely, so i recorded the dimensions on a little drawing

the key dimensions are s follows:
.1" x .4" x .16" or 2.5mm x 10mm x 4mm ( r=2mm )

i made this out of a piece of steel flat stock, got the thickness close first with a standing belt sander. Cut close to size then held with NN pliers and used the shop belt sander again, continually measuring with calipers, and eyballing the radius last. deburred with a file

Attachments

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Check the shaft slot the key fits in. If it's FUBAR'D It'll let the new key roll enough to shear again. Making them is a PITA, Aint it? But it is the best way. The keys ya buy from the suppliers all seem like they are made out of aluminum. Too soft to take any kind of beating.
fatdaddy.usflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
yeah, i do see replacing the shaft in my crystal ball, the whole thing has been hammered, but i will try to make it work as long as i can y'know.

perhaps i should just get the "kit" now...
It might last a while, Long enough to get the kit in anyway. It is just the clutch shaft, isn't it? Ya gotta split the case to replace, but not the end of the world. Just another PITA.
fatdaddy.usflg