nt carb rubber gaskets upgrade??

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I recently purchased an nt carb on ebay. It came with rubber gasket between the bowl and the upper part of the carb. The carb, i broke it rather easy trying to fit it to a pipe slightly larger than the neck, but it came with a rubber gasket and a hex shaped thing that the jet screws into. Both of these parts have made my jetting considerable more wonderful.

Are these new upgrades from the factory or special parts that accidently fell into my hands. I want to upgrade my other carb to have these parts. Anyone have any info on these parts????

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
hunh? what's a "hex shaped thing?"

the "jet" is made up of two pieces. the small thing is the actual jet, which screws into the jet tube, which then screws into the carb body.

i've seen two different kinds of jets. some are hex shaped, and some just have two flat sides.

as far as the rubber gasket, it's just a gasket. i've had green, grey, and brown pressed paper ones, as well as rubber ones. none of them ever leaked.

Last edited:

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
hex jet tube if that is the formal name for it then.
how are some of them coming with rubber gaskets and some with paper?
i prefer the hex jet tube and the rubber gasket over then paper and the notched jet tube. if there is a kit or a source that carries those parts specifically i would snatch them up.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll find that most new NT carburetors are as you described. By new, I mean recently manufactured. There are older carbs still out there and they typically used the fiber gaskets.

A word of caution: Some parts are not interchangable. The plastic float from an older NT will not fit on the hex shaped immersion tube. The diameter is a little larger on the hex and the old floats are smaller. Also the bowels are just a tiny fraction smaller. The bowl from an old NT won't fit a new carb body. Also I've noticed that the older NTs used a black coated slide (throttle barrel) and all of the newer ones now come with a brass one.
They are also not interchangable. The brass ones don't slide easily in an old NT, but, I've successfully used a black coated slide in a new NT body. Go figure.

Just my observations from recent experience.

Tom