As promised: pics of chain repaired

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Here's what I do to re-use ground off chain links without useing a chain breaker.
Grind the pins, remove with punch
re-assemble link and tack weld over ground off pins to hold sideplate.
Repair is barely visible and just as strong as unbroken chain if you are careful when grinding and welding.
Been doing this since the 70's on everything from pocketbikes to open class streetbikes and huge industrial chains. Never had a problem with a repair failing and I don't need any more tools than I already have.
Best thing is its FREE if you have a welder and grinder.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I had always used a grinder on a new chain and put it to size with a master. I like that picture of the spot weld. Nice clean crafty job. I like it!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I got into doing this after a certain Hodaka decided it wanted no part of any newfangled "master link" and commenced tossing chains on a daily basis.
An old motorhead buddy of my dad's showed me this trick and it fixed the Hodaka!
Well, it fixed the chain anyway...
took a broken rod to fix that bike finally.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I can see that working great. Just wondering to myself why I never thought of that? I have had good luck with chains but this goes to my repertoire of tricks. Got a nice 220 mig welder here too. Learn something new everyday. Chuckles to myself... that is really very easy to do too lol.

Next time I don't have a master link lying around or am remotely bummed about it? Time to play with my mig!zpt:)(^)

Last edited: